6 Podcasts for Your Hot (or Cold) Girl Walk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

After finals season, my Spotify shifts from the likes of “Relaxing Study BGM” to an array of all my favorite driving soundtracks and fun music. As we gear up for a new year, many of us are trying desperately to promise ourselves that “Next year’s Wrapped will be so much better!” (and by many of us, I mean me). But regardless of how my music taste changes, podcasts are a comforting constant whether it’s morning or night. Read on for six podcasts that have been my saving grace on my many walks across campus! All of them update their episodes regularly. 

1. Amicus with Dahlia Lithwick

This may be specific to political science majors, current event nerds, or Elle Woods lovers-or all three! Dahlia Lithwick covers the Supreme Court for the news outlet Slate and runs this podcast on important legal issues. She also spotlights female lawyers and interviews those behind prominent cases like Charlottesville. Even if you’re not interested in law, it provides a look behind the scenes into the Supreme Court, law, and how we perceive events that everyone has taken for granted.

1. Routines and Ruts with Madeleine Dore 

New Year’s Eve makes me itching to become a new version of myself, and I always listen to some sort of podcast to try and get some tips on how to clean up my life. Unfortunately, I often find that self-care podcasts assume an illusion of perfection, without giving you advice on how to recover from when you break from your routine. This podcast doesn’t fit that mold; it provides you with advice for the days when the only thing getting you through them is the thought of sleep. 

1. Ologies with Alie Ward

Considering this article is about podcasts, it might be a good time to mention that I love learning new things! Ologies is for anyone who loves the random- it asks questions to people who are experts in anything and everything. Gelotology is, apparently, not the study of gelato but rather the study of laughs! Ward’s questions are easy enough for non-scientists to understand and entertaining enough for a long drive or walk. 

1. Noble Blood: 

This podcast usually gives me my horror fix while still letting me learn something new. You’ll hear about such fearsome rulers as Empress Olga, who (despite her gender and the time period) orchestrated an entire political takedown, or for fans of Bridgerton-style love scandals: Princess Carolina Matilda’s scandalous love affair with an Enlightenment philosopher that ended in overthrowing the government. The narration is amazing and the stories are told with a nod to current events that makes Noble Blood an interesting listen for a late-night drive. 

5. Gilmore to Say: Tara Llewellyn and Haley McIntosh

For all my Gilmore Girls fans, this podcast gives you a vent for all of your controversial opinions about Gilmore Girls: whether it’s who Rory should be with, why Lane was underrated and why the Gilmore diet is, um, interesting. Also, the description begins with “Oy with the poodles already!” which is one of my favorite quotes from the show. While it may be a little specific, it’s definitely entertaining. Make sure you’re on your third cup of coffee with a shot of cynicism when you take a listen!

6: Crime Junkie:

True-crime can be a mixed bag, but this podcast gives you the satisfaction of listening to an interesting case while providing justice for victims of the crime. Crime Junkie is bite-size true crime-from small-town intrigue to big-city mystery, from conspiracies to harrowing escapes- it can fit any taste. Each episode also includes resources to support the victims and encourages you to learn more, at any time.

Neha Rao

TAMU '26

Neha is a freshman political science major at Texas A&M. She is an avid coffee enthusiast, bookworm, and lover of every single dog breed ever created. Her writing interests include psychology, movies, and the experiences of women of color in the United States. She hopes to expand awareness and have fun within HerCampus throughout her college experience!