This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

1. Make a meal together

Get your Gordon Ramsey on and whip up an exciting meal together. Trying your hand at a complicated dish or foreign cuisine can be a fun challenge, and whether it turns out divine or you set off the smoke alarms, the experience together will be just as rewarding as the results. For competitive couples, you could go against each other and have each person make a main course and appetizer, then taste test to see who’s the winner.

2. Draw/paint each other

Next year can be your chance to re-enact the classic scene from Titanic and capture the likeness of your significant other in something far more personal than a photo. Whether your skill level is like Rembrandt or like a finger-painting preschooler, it’s a lot of fun to get in touch with your artistic side and take time to admire your sweetheart’s appearance. You can go for realism or mimic the abstract/surrealist painting styles of famous artists like Picasso. For lots of laughs, you could also make caricatures of one another (but tread carefully!)

3. Rom-Com Marathon

Maybe romantic comedies aren’t your favorite genre (*raises hand*), but if there’s one day a year where you should watch a classic rom-com, it’s Valentine’s day. What better way to feel bonded than to cuddle up to your sweetheart and watch sappy flicks while enjoying some greasy takeout, pizza, or junk food. My personal favorites are 500 Days of Summer, Lars and the Real Girl, Amelie, He’s Just Not That Into You, Clueless, and Her.

4. Backyard Picnic

Set out a warm blanket, put together a gourmet charcuterie board with cheese, fruit, and prepared meats, pour some red wine, and dine al fresco under the stars and in the privacy of your backyard. Rainy weather? No problem, bring your outdoor party inside and have your picnic under the comforting glow of some fairy lights.

5. Spa Day

Valentine’s Day will be the perfect time of year to celebrate love and self-love, so pamper yourselves and each other! Break out some funky face masks and apply them (then laugh at how crazy you look.) Give each other romantic massages with essential oils and let the stress of the week melt. Bonus points for spa music, aromatherapy candles, bath bombs, and cucumbers for those baggy eyes.

Graduate student studying Public Policy Analysis at Texas A&M. Future nonprofit leader. Adequate speaker of French. Lover of horror movies, poetry, and travel.