Life > Experiences

5 Things To Do Before You Move Off-Campus at TAMU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

As the school year comes to a close, I can’t help but think about all the things left to do as an on-campus resident. After this year, I won’t ever spend as much time on campus as I do now. While I know I’ll enjoy living off-campus next year, there’s still lots to enjoy on campus at Texas A&M. Therefore, I compiled a list of 5 activities you can do alone or with a friend, so you can really gain the full experience of living on campus.

Walk around campus on the weekend

There’s something much more serene about campus once most people are gone. There’s people walking their dogs, families exploring, and more squirrels start to roam around campus. Personally, I never truly get to appreciate how nice it is to just walk around campus as I’m always in a rush between classes. However, the weekend provides ample opportunity to just appreciate what’s out there. If you haven’t tried it out yourself, I definitely recommend it!

Have a picnic

You can always have a picnic on a weekday, but again as I’ve said, it’s much more peaceful on the weekends. Two of the best places to lay down a blanket and have a picnic are in Aggie Park and East Quad. There’s many other areas around campus to have a picnic, so it’s best to do some exploring. Just make sure to find a spot with ample shade! You can even bring your laptop to do school work or bring a book if you are having a picnic by yourself!

Use a veo

I personally have not tried to use a Veo yet because the thought of using one kind of terrifies me. However, I will definitely have to try one before the semester ends. I always see groups of people riding Veos over the weekend, and they seem to have a blast. It’s a smart idea especially if you’re someone like me who’s worried about running someone over or just falling over on one! Just remember to ride safely and stop at stop signs!

Ride the bus

There are many people who have not used the TAMU bus system and I simply have to ask: Why? It’s proved to be very useful these last two semesters, and although it can be late at some times, it’s a great experience if you aren’t in a rush! I have gone on the bus multiple times just to cruise around town. Putting on your earbuds and watching the scenery go by is very calming; it’s honestly a great stress reliever.

go to events hosted on campus

You’ll never be as close to so many events after moving off-campus, so go experience something new! I went to an orchestra event that TAMU hosted simply to experience something different. The great thing about being a student was that the ticket was free using my student ID card! As the year ends, there are so many more events happening around campus that I would recommend checking out. It’s a great way to get free food or shirts, and you may just make some new friends while you’re there!

Emily Velez is a member of the Writing and Editing Committee at the Her Campus at TAMU chapter. She writes about her experiences and anything that is on her mind. She tends to lean towards topics that discuss Texas A&M or being a college student, but you will also find articles that deal with entertainment. Emily makes several references in her articles to other things going on in her life, but she often references Taylor Swift or a lyric to her latest favorite song. Emily is a sophomore at Texas A&M, majoring in English with a minor in Professional Writing. She is in a women's organization and tries to be as involved on campus as she can be. Her plans for the future are to either become a technical writer, copywriter, or publisher. However, Emily wants to keep her doors open to any opportunities that arise. In her free time, Emily loves to read, write, and crochet. She recently completed a tote bag and has started on a new journey of trying amigurumi. She loves listening to Taylor Swift, and she knows many of her songs by heart. She also adores anything related to Snoopy, so you will often find her with some sort of Snoopy merchandise.