5 Romance Book Recs from a WW2 Nerd

Updated Published

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Since middle school, when I was required to read WW2 books as part of my history and literature classes (such as Flygirl, The War to End All Wars, Night, etc.), I became engrossed in the genre. Over the years, I scarfed down hundreds of articles, Wikipedia pages, movies, and historical books.

Of the historical books that I read, my favorites were historical romances and mysteries. Some of these were books that lead me to search articles pages even after the story ends. These were the books that made time stand still as I read. Sometime I wished for more than the “boring” linear storyline. Dynamic characters who felt like real people that I can never forget. A little bit of spice and a handful of secrets won’t hurt.

Below, I recommended five of my favorite historical romance books during World War II. I do have to admit that one of the books might not have characters who pursue romantic interests throughout the book. Also, note that some characters have lost their loved ones to war and mourn them. Some others fall in love only to mourn in the end. Some are blessed with their loved ones safe and alive.

Lovely War

Novel by Julie Berry

For those who adore Greek Mythology and are fans of historical romance, this book is a MUST read!! The novel opens up to an affair between the Goddess of Love, Aphrodite, and God of War, Ares, during World War II. When Aphrodite’s husband, Hephaestus, accuses her of infidelity, she pleas guilty and insists that she lonely and misunderstood! She tries to convinces the two gods that Love and War are eternally drawn together by weaving the story of love during the height of World War I.

Her story spirals around four lovers: Hazel & James, Aubrey & Colette. Hazel & James met during a party in London and passionately fell in love until James was sent to the battlefield. Aubrey, an African American soldier part of the 15th New York Infantry, was sent to help with the War when he meets Colette, a Belgian singer. Much like James and Aubrey fighting in the battlefields, Colette and Hazel volunteer to help for the war. Throughout the story, each person fights their own battles. And through their eyes, we can see the horrors of the war… and the hope brought by love and support.

Girl in the Blue Coat

Novel by Monica Hesse

Secret Resistant Groups. Missing People. A Raging War. If you are looking for a historical mystery, this might be the right book. This story sets place in Amsterdam, Netherlands during World War II. After losing her boyfriend and loved ones to the war, Hanneke, takes on a secret job as part of the resistance group in Amsterdam. She works as part of the black market and sells goods during the war for those who are willing to pay the price.

During one her deliveries, one of her customers makes a near-impossible request: find a missing Jewish girl named Mirjam. After initially struggling with her decision and seeing the horrendous crimes of the Nazis, Hanneke becomes determined to find what happened to the missing girl. Her journey brings her to a secret Student Resistance Group that rescues Jewish children. With the help of this resistance group, will she be able to find Mirjam before it is too late?

The Blossom and the Firefly

Novel BY Sherri L. Smith

Often times, when we hear the tales of World War II, we hear about the horrors of the battlefields, the deaths of innocent people, and the resistance. But this stories takes a different perspective: the toll on those who are left.

The novel takes place in Japan during the final months leading to the end of World War II. It opens up to the lives of two Japanese teenagers: Taro and Hana. Taro works as part of the Japanese Special Attack Air Force Unit. His duty means deadly missions and placing his life at stake… and Taro is ready to sacrifice himself for his people. However, he cannot bring himself to forget his passion for music and finds comfort in his violin. Meanwhile, Hana is part of a youth war group that tends to the the Special Attack pilots. She takes part in helping with meals and laundry. But after having a near-death experience when being buried by a collapsing trench, Hana suffers from trauma and wonders whether it would have been better to have died.

When she hears Taro playing his violin, she finds solace in his music. While the two began to fall in love and bond over their experiences, the war rages on. We see the struggles of the Japanese people as supplies began to dwindle, parts of the government began to crumble, and stories reminiscence about those who were lost to war. But there are signs that war might end soon. Taro and Hana cannot help but hope that their chance at love is more than just a fleeting moment.

This Light Between Us

Novel by Andrew Fukuda

The nightmares of the Holocaust, Internment camps, and World War II are the pinnacle of human tragedy. A vow to never be forgotten. The story’s timeline spans over years before and during the World War II. It is 1935 and Alex Maki, a Japanese American boy from United States, is reluctant to become the pen pals with a Charlie Levy, a Parisian Jewish girl from France, after his teacher forces him to write letters. Despite his initial reluctance, Alex becomes good friends with Charlie through their letters and even begins to fall in love with her.

As the years pass by, World War II begins. As the Nazis occupy Paris, Charlie fights for her life, away from pursuit of the Nazis and horrors of the concentration camps. Meanwhile, Pearl Harbor is bombed and Alex’s family is force into an internment camp in California. As the two struggle in the face of war, their letters become each other’s light and hope.

The Paper Girl of Paris

Novel by Jordyn Taylor

Love a little bit of Paris? A bit of French? Can’t get enough of the French resistance and stories of France during the German Occupation? Then consider this novel your cup of tea! The novel has dual time periods, one in modern-day Paris and another in the middle of World War II.

Alice, our first protagonist, leaves for Paris after her grandmother passes away and leaves her an apartment in France, something no one knew existed. With the help of Paul, a lovely artist, Alice begins to uncover the secrets of the apartment and the life of her grandmother. Why it was abandoned and what happened to her grandmother’s family?

Adalyn, our second protagonist, cannot seem to find the comfort of home after the Nazis occupation of Paris. Each day goes by with new horrors of the occupation and the struggles of the people. Despite living the life of a socialite, the shortage of food and toll of war begins to grip the family. This brings Adalyn to take part in the resistance… and it wasn’t long before she finds herself falling in love with Luc, the leader of the resistance group. But as the war rages on, Adalyn finds herself distancing from her family and her sister, Chloe, making unimaginable sacrifies. Will she be able to protect those she holds so dear?

Howdy! My name is Abhisri Dasari! I'm from Sugar Land, TX, and I'm an engineering major at A&M. I'm passionate about bringing awareness to immigrant issues, women's rights, and environmental crisis (ahem. Climate change). I love to explore something new and always up for a challenge (or an adventure).