This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.
  1. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

After falling in love with the Shadow and Bone show, I found myself being drawn to the Crows and figured I had to pick up their books. Six of Crows follows Kaz Brekker and his band of misfits on a heist that could change their lives forever. Among his crew are sharpshooter Jesper Fahey, demolition man Wylan Hendriks, wraith Inej Ghafa, heartrender Nina Zenik, and convict Matthias Helvar. The diverse cast of characters with their various stories and interactions set to a gritting heist mission are sure to keep me interested this summer.

2. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

After rave reviews from friends and a Netflix movie coming soon, I figured I had to read this book some time soon. The novel follows Evelyn Hugo, a reclusive movie star who is finally ready to tell the truth about her long and scandalous career. Enter, Monique Grant, a relatively unknown reporter who becomes enthralled in Evelyn’s story until she realizes they might be more connected than she thought. I love glamour and Old Hollywood so I plan to satiate those interests with this page turner.

3. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins

I’m sure this is no surprise considering the Hunger Games revival. I was a little offput by the idea of a book about the infamous President Snow but all the reviews for this book say that it doesn’t justify his actions but rather shows how he became the man he was in the Hunger Games. It follows young Coriolanus Snow, who is practically destitute in the Capitol with dreams of assisting in the Hunger Games. Ironically, he’s assigned to mentor District 12 tribute Lucy Gray, who he resents until he comes to develop feelings and empathy towards her. There’s also a movie coming out for this book so I’m hoping to finish it before it hits the silver screen.

4. Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I haven’t watched the show for this yet because I really want to read the book before I do. The novel follows Daisy Jones, a girl coming of age in LA who dreams of singing and her interactions and connection to band The Six, especially Billy Dunne, the lead singer whose girlfriend is pregnant and life is about to firmly planted on the ground. On the road, Daisy and Billy begin to grow into something more. As someone who can’t live without music, I’m excited to read this book and watch the show because I’ve heard the songs are phenomenal and I’m sure the book is even better.

5. Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

I got this book as a graduation gift and was told its something truly special because of its nonsensical but impactful plot about the planet’s ultimate fate in an apocalyptic world. It’s supposed to be a sort of dark humor that leaves a mark on you no matter what so I’m interested to see what it is that changes the way you think and how the author weaves together humor, message, and apocalypse.

Surmayee Thakur is a freshmen English major at Texas A&M University. Besides a passion for writing anything from lyrics to stories to articles, you can find her listening to music, reading fantasy novels, or singing!