Wellness > Sex + Relationships

10 Things That Happen During Parents Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

Whether you love them or hate them, your parents will always be your parents. Like most universities, Texas A&M sets aside an entire weekend just for them. They call it Parents Weekend. Here are the 10 Things That Happen During Parents Weekend:

1) You Prepare: Not only do you have to clean your entire room, but you also have to mentally prepare. You can conceal a lot when communicating through text messages and phone calls, but face-to-face conversations are a different story. Good luck telling your parents why you had to Q-drop Chemistry or how it is no big deal that you got a finger tattoo. You can rehearse your speech while you are shoving all your dirty clothes under your bed. 

2) Your Parents Arrive: You are secretly overjoyed to see them.  There were so many times you really could have used a hug from your mom between now and the last time you saw her. You even laugh at your dad’s jokes. Was he always this funny?

3) Your Parents Buy You Stuff: You aren’t going to say “no” to shopping, especially if they insist.

4) You Give Your Parents a Campus Tour: You realize other than the 10 buildings you have had class in and Evans, you don’t even know what half of the buildings are called.

5) You Introduce Your Friends to Your Parents: Two groups of the most important people in your life are about to meet each other. You just hope your parents don’t judge your friends. Especially the one with the eyebrow piercing, she was a Fish Camp counselor. 

6) Your Parents Take You Out to Dinner: It might not be a home-cooked meal, but it is the next best thing. Any meal that cannot ever be purchased with dining dollars or a meal trade is a good one. 

7) You Take Your Parents Out to Northgate: You weren’t going to miss your friend’s birthday weekend or ring dunk for the sake of parents weekend.  So you invite your parents to tag along. They are cool now, right?

8) Your Parents Embarrass You: Whether your dad won’t stop talking about his wild fraternity days or your mother keeps telling your friends embarrassing childhood stories, inevitably your parents will do something to embarrass you.

9) You Say Goodbye to Your Parents: You love them, but you moved away from home for a reason.

10) You Miss Your Parents: Shortly after they leave, you realize just how cool your parents really are. They know the most about you, and they want the best for you. Maybe you miss their company a little, but certainly not enough to move back home.