This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

“We live in a box of space and time. Movies are windows in its walls. They allow us to enter other minds, not simply in the sense of identifying with the characters, although that is an important part of it, but by seeing the world as another person sees it.”

– Roger Ebert

1. Onward

Michael Scott You Complete Me gif
Giphy

If you want to enjoy a movie with your family, this is the one to watch. This movie tells the story of two brothers yearning to spend one more day with their father that has recently passed. Disney always finds a way to bring out the importance of family and is the perfect film to watch when missing those who matter most. 

2. Justine

Joey Friends Thinking
Giphy

Be prepared to laugh, smile, and cry. Released in 2019, this film is about a single mother (Lisa) who is hired as a caretaker after recently losing her husband. The young girl who she’s looking after (Justine) was born with spina bifida and slowly brings out the happiness and light that Lisa needs in order to get back on her feet. 

3. Mamma Mia! 

Meryl Streep Yes Gif
Giphy

Need a reason to get up, get active, and dance? Well here’s the perfect movie to do so. Whether you’re dancing along to Dancing Queenor crying to Slipping Through My Fingers, this movie is a must see. Plus… Meryl freaking Streep. That is all. 

4. Candy

10 Things I Hate About You gif
Giphy

This one’s an oldie, but a goodie. Directed by Neil Armfield in 2006, this movie is made up of actors such as the amazingly talented Abbie Cornish, the brilliant Geoffrey Rush, and one of my favorites, the late Heath Ledger. This film tackles the story of two young heroin addicts that find themselves fighting to live a normal and clean life all while in love. It’s a beautiful movie and by far, one of my favorites to ever be made. 

5. Wonder Woman

Hair Flip
Giphy

I mean what better movie to watch when you’re stuck at home and feeling down? When this movie came out back in June of 2017, I was amazed. I walked into the movie theater a woman and walked out a STRONG woman. Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins gave us the movie of the decade, so do yourself a favor and watch this movie to remind yourself that women are capable of absolutely everything. 

6. Spice World

Friends Excited
Giphy

Two words: Spice. Girls.

If you’re a huge fan of the Spice Girls like I am, then turn on Spice World and sing along to some of the best hits of the 20thcentury. This film will take you back to the 90s and will definitely Spice Up Your Life.

7. Little Women

Little Women Scene
Giphy

If you’ve ever seen a movie directed by Greta Gerwig, then stop what you’re doing because your life is complete. Here’s one of the many reasons you should watch this masterpiece of a movie: Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Emma Watson, Laura Dern, Timothée Chalamet, and once again… Meryl Streep. 

8. Roma

kimmy schmit tv gif
Netflix / Giphy

As a Hispanic, I found this movie to be inspiring and incredibly beautiful. Directed by Alfonso Cuarón, this black and white movie came out during a time of division and taught its audience to embrace our worlds differences in a much more loving way. Watch it – you won’t be disappointed. 

9. Sucker Punch

Monica and Rachel high-fiving
Giphy

If you find yourself bored and missing your girlfriends, then host a zoom meeting and turn on this movie. It’s a film made up of strong and courageous women who fight to escape a predominantly man’s world. It may leave you unsure of what’s going on, but director Zack Snyder’s goal was to leave this film open for interpretation. 

This. Film. Is. A. Masterpiece.

10. W.E.

Gif from the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Giphy

Last but not least, a film directed by Madonna – aka “The Queen of Pop.” This movie tells the true story of Wallis Simpson and King Edward VIII of England. Their affair made headline news in the 1930s and ties together with the story of Wally Winthrop, a woman trying to find her way through a toxic marriage and complicated world. This film will have you wanting to put on a black pair of heels, pour yourself a glass of wine, and turn on that old record player.

Whether or not you’re a lover of movies, watching movies can take your mind off of whatever is worrying you and will open your eyes to a world of imagination. These times can be challenging. So take off your shoes, eat some popcorn, recline your chair, and disappear into the world of cinema. In times of darkness, find things that unite you with the rest of the world. Watch a movie and take a moment to just breathe. 

Brinna is a proud member of Texas A&M's Class of 2021 and is an English Major hoping to spread her love and energy through stories and conversation. Brinna is a lover of all things film, family, music, and anything and everything that includes Meryl Streep.