This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

A quick disclaimer: Throughout this series, I will be sharing my knowledge and experience from my years practicing the craft. My word is not law, in fact, quite the opposite! Every witch’s practice is different! My intention with this series is to guide individuals curious about the craft to a safe and effective practice, with harm done to none. Thank you for joining me!

“Goddess. Guide my steps and help me to walk in wisdom. What I seek on this day, I shall find as I go With an open heart and mind. Today, I receive the blessings of the sun, moon and stars”- Cerridwen Greenleaf, The Practical Witch’s Spellbook.

Hello and welcome! My name is Maryanna and I intend to serve as your guide on this journey of the exploration of modern day Witchcraft. Let’s get some introductions out of the way! I’m a Capricorn sun, Gemini moon and Taurus rising. I have generational witches in my family, and come from a strong line of magic practitioners. I personally have been practicing since around 2018, and learn more every single day! I identify as an eclectic/cottage witch (we’ll dive more into that later) and my preferred divination is tarot. 

“What are we going to cover in this series?” Great question! If you were hoping to learn how to hex your enemy or make the cute Starbucks barista fall in love with you from this series; I’m sorry to tell you darling, but no. Instead, we will be laying the foundation for a strong practice through CRITICAL things like history, grounding, manifesting and more!

Some topics I plan to cover:

• Background of modern Witchcraft & Types of Witches (Am I a Witch?)

• Wiccan, Paganism and Witchcraft (What’s the Difference?)

• Grounding & Meditation

• Intentions, Manifesting & Energy (What is Magic?)

• Protecting & Cleansing

• Common Tools of Magic Magic 

• Moon Magic (Phase Correspondences)

• Intro to Herbs & Crystals

• Divination

• Candle Magic

• The Sabbats (Pagan Holidays)

• & more!

I’m so excited to dive into the incredible world of Magic and Witchcraft with the HerCampus Readers! See you soon for Lesson #1!

Capricorn ☀️ Gemini ? Taurus ? Maryanna is a freshman Art Therapy major at the University of Tampa. She loves all things wellness, spirituality and the metaphysical lifestyle. You can often find her in the park painting pictures of cows, or on Instagram @maryanna__bee. Blessed Be!
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson