This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

In today’s age, everyone uses makeup. Eyeshadow is used on a daily basis for almost everyone that uses makeup. What people don’t know is that eyeshadow can actually be harmful to the body.

How does regular eyeshadow affect the body?

• The makeup ingredients in eyeshadow palettes can affect your body very negatively. There are toxic ingredients that can seep into the eyes when applied on the eyelid everyday. These harmful ingredients can seep right into the eye and straight into the bloodstream. The eye is a very sensitive body part that doesn’t need the extra harm from everyday makeup. Makeup, when not used correctly or bought without caution, it can damage the eye and your vision after a long period. In the long run, after not switching to natural or organic makeup, toxic chemicals can give you many health risks. Changing to more natural makeup can help a lot in the future for anyone who does not want potential health risks.

BIG red flags when buying makeup:

• Long, long list of ingredients. Try and find makeup with little ingredients as possible.
  • Unnatural color pigment. Try finding color pigments and dyes that come from natural ingredients like fruits and vegetables.
  • Don’t always trust the “all-natural” makeup brands. Makeup is unfortunately not very heavily regulated, companies find their ways to still put harmful chemicals inside
  • If you can’t pronounce the ingredients, don’t buy the product.

Best natural and organic makeup brands to choose from:

Honest Beauty

• Compact makeup palettes with many color choices and healthy and safe ingredients for everyday use.
  • Tested by dermatologists
  • No animal testing

Burt’s Bees

• Natural ingredients used such as bamboo, flowers, honey
  • No parabens
  • No animal testing

Ecco Bella Flowercolor Eyeshadow

• Made from flower pigments, extracts, and waxes  (Gluten-free and vegan usage)

Kylee is a sophomore at the University of Tampa. She is studying Advertising and Public Relations with a creative concentration and a minor in graphic design and advertising. Kylee spends her days designing, creating, and planning. Kylee is also known for doing peoples makeup, hair and BROWS. She loves traveling to different places to explore new people and cultures, she's an advocate for authentic cuisine. Her most prized possession is of course her 2 frenchies Maui and Koda! Go meet Maui, Koda and Kylee on her instagram @kyleeandreoli and hit up her art account @kydesign.studio
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely