This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

All my life, I have never really enjoyed reading— whether it was for school or being forced to by my parents. In many of the books that I read and enjoyed in school, I struggled with staying focused. Hours would go by, and I wouldn’t be past page 20. Maybe that is why I gave up reading throughout high school and only read when assigned, which wasn’t too much. Some books I read throughout grade school have stuck with me for a while now, leaving me with that shocked and excited feeling. That was the feeling that I missed so much. 

People with everyday college perceptions may wonder why I would choose to read now with all this dense and challenging schoolwork. But honestly, I do have free time. If you plan and schedule out your workloads, you will find that you have free time too.

College is stressful, and there is a lot to try and balance out. However, what I needed the most was a mental break: breaks from schoolwork, your roommates (because that is normal), going out, and just being social. I found that my best mental break was going to a warm spot outside, sitting down, breathing a little (if you can), and just opening a book— a book with a captivating story that leaves you in awe wanting to read more. 

To be honest, I decided to pick my first book because it made me feel intelligent. Books are a lavish form of knowledge. You can learn a lot from just one book. Honestly, any kind of book, and if you’re intrigued by that information, you’ll be surprised how long it will stay with you.

I started by finding a genre that would keep me engaged and wanting to keep on reading— which worked well. It did take me a little bit to finish the book, but I honestly think you just need to find a book that fits your interests to keep you intrigued. Once I started, it gave me a high. It changed my mood, my day got better, and I craved to do it again. 

So far in this college semester, I have read three books and am currently on book number four. I balance it out well when I can. Yes, some weeks are hard to fit reading in, but I find it best to read at least ten pages before bed, so at least some progress is made. Reading brand new stories takes me away from the stress of college life. 

There is an app called “Good Reads,” where I track my books, browse others, find reviews, and leave my thoughts. My account name is “alexis duffy” if anyone wants to be friends, follow me! I love to see what people are reading. It is like a form of social media for readers. 

Picking up a book and jumping into a whole new reality is a journey of creativity and adventure. So if you want a stress reliever, a mental break, or a story to be wrapped up in, I suggest you find a book and dive in.

Alexis Duffy is the President and Senior Editor at the Her Campus at Tampa chapter. She writes and edits articles as well as managing the chapter at Tampa. Her articles cover entertainment and lifestyle topics focusing on films and traveling. Outside of Her Campus, Alexis is a senior at the University of Tampa, double majoring in Communication, Media & Culture, and Advertising & Public Relations. She is currently an part time employee at the Tampa Bay Arts & Education Network, where she works on media projects and shadows in the tv studios helping with production. Alexis enjoys art, adventures, film, and traveling during her downtime. She often finds herself going down a rabbit hole when watching videos about the production of a movie, interviews, and fun facts about cinema. Alexis always seems to have her phases, whether it’s a Harry Potter marathon or watching The Dark Knight Trilogy.