This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

After listening to my current favorite podcast, “Girls Gotta Eat” and their episode about Carrie Bradshaw, I’ve decided it’s time to dive into my strong opinions about the show, Sex and the City and more specifically the relationship between the characters Big and Carrie. 

*Spoiler Alert* If you’ve never watched the show but want to in the future, don’t read this article!!! 

For those of you who have never seen the show before or live under a very large rock and know nothing about it, the main character is a woman named Carrie Bradshaw. The show centers around her and her three friends’ exploration of dating in New York City. Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda each have their own relationship issues that the show explores. For Carrie, she’s pretty much obsessed with the same man for all 6 seasons of the show. (I will be honest and admit I’ve never watched the movies for fear of them being filled with Carrie & Big drama.)

For those who can’t already tell, I have VERY strong opinions about Carrie Bradshaw and her relationship faux-pas (especially her relationship with Big). The podcast episode I listened to this morning from “Girls Gotta Eat” is titled, “F**K YOU Carrie Bradshaw!” if you want to give it a listen. 

My major issue with Carrie Bradshaw and Big’s relationship throughout the series is that it takes place over the course of TEN YEARS. Throughout their relationship, they’re both in and out of other ones (with Big getting married a couple times). In my opinion, Carrie sat back and let him walk all over her. FOR TEN YEARS

I couldn’t STAND Carrie or Big by the time the show was over, and for those of you who haven’t experienced the agony of watching Carrie cheat on her fantastic and caring boyfriend with the notoriously emotionally unavailable Big, it sucks.

I’ll lay out a few messed up things that Big did to Carrie (Carrie is not blameless, in my opinion either. I mean, come on girl… TEN YEARS of putting up with this bull?!)

1. He MARRIED someone else after leading Carrie on for two years and claiming emotional unavailability as a reason he couldn’t commit to her.

2. He begins an affair with Carrie while married to this other woman (Carrie cheats on her then boyfriend with Big)

3. He WALKS OUT and takes a phone call when she gives a speech that was important to her.

4. Treats her like a second choice almost the entire time. 

5. NEVER commits until the very end (Again, AFTER TEN YEARS?????) 

My biggest complaint is to Carrie Bradshaw. Like come on sister, really? You’re really stuck on this man who gives you one crumb of hope a year? Couldn’t be me. This is why Carrie Bradshaw is and will always be my least favorite Sex and The City character. She writes a relationship advice column but can never take any of her own advice; it’s SO FRUSTRATING. 

Share your thoughts with me on instagram (@amaandathompson)

Until next time…

HCXO,

Amanda

Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson