What You Should Be Watching This Halloween Season – Classics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Imagine this: fall weather, fall decor, hot chocolate, and classic Halloween movies (that are not scary).

Halloweentown (ALL OF THEM)

A classic series! If you are going to watch the first Halloweentown, you have to watch the other three! Halloweentown first came out in 1998; Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge came out in 200; Halloweentown High came out in 2004 and the last one, Return to Halloweentown, came out in 2006. It is known that, sadly, there will not be a fifth movie. These movies consist of a family finding out they come from a family of witches. The mother knew but she was trying to keep it a secret. Eventually, the two children follow their grandmother home to Halloweentown, which is when they find out everything and see a new ‘world’. A land full of mystic creatures that are trying to fight the evil person threatening to take over their world. 

Hocus Pocus

Starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy, and Bette Midler as the three witches in Salem, Massachusetts. The movie begins with a new family moving in, and we all can guess how that turned out… high schoolers picking on the new kid. Being based in Salem, Massachusetts the town cares greatly about Halloween but the new kid; Max, thinks it is “a bunch of hocus pocus.’ Eventually, Halloween comes around and Max takes his little sister Dani out trick or treating. They find themselves approaching Allison’s house(a classmate of Max). After some talking and convincing, they all decide to explore an abandoned house where ‘the three witches’ used to live. But, Max not believing in any of this, decides to mess around with the objects. He decided to light a candle, which then brought the witches back to life creating a long, horrible, and scary Halloween. First airing in 1993, this movie is a family fun and classic Halloween movie. For all of the Hocus Pocus lovers, you are in luck! There will be a Hocus Pocus 2 on Disney Plus in December of 2022. Bette Midler who plays Winifred, posted on twitter. On May 20, 2021: “Sistaaaahs! It’s been 300 years… But we’re BACK! #HocusPocus2 arrives Fall 2022 on Disney Plus.” I guess until then, we will have to stick to the first one. Which, of course, is not a problem.

Casper

A 1995 cartoon of a friendly ghost who lives in a mansion, named Casper. I would be shocked if I heard someone say they have never heard of or seen this movie. The movie is based in Friendship, Maine, in Whipstaff Manor, an abandoned mansion. Dr. James Harvey has been looking into this mansion and keeping an eye on the ghosts—Casper and the three others. He then decided that he and his daughter, Kat, would move into the mansion so that he could really examine the ghosts. Later on, Casper ends up falling in love with Kat. But, how will that work? He is a ghost and she is a human. That is the problem they try to figure out. That is all I will tell you about the film, Casper. Due to being loved by many fans, Universal Pictures created a spin-off called, The Spooktacular New Adventures of Casper in 1996.

Hi! My name is Justice Pautz, I am a freshman at The University of Tampa! I am currently a communications major and hope to one day work for a newspaper/magazine company in a large city. On my free time, I love to journal and go to the gym!