What to Expect When Drinking Around the World in Epcot for the First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

I’ve been going to Disney with my family since I was little. When I was little it was always about the “magic” and the rides. But, as I grew up I always heard adults raving about how fun it was to “drink around the world” in Epcot. Now that I go to school only an hour away from Orlando, I’ve always been excited to turn 21 and finally get to do it! I turned 21 in December, so this February when my mom was visiting we decided to go. So, for anyone else waiting until they can drink around the world, I’m here to share all about it from the eyes of a first timer!

The first thing I will say about this is that it is EXPENSIVE. As a college student, I definitely won’t be able to do this until I have a stable income after graduation. There are 11 different countries in Epcot, and each one has a different selection of alcoholic drinks from that country. Each drink from the countries is between $10-$15. I went during COVID-19 so there were some drink carts shut down and probably less drinks to choose from, but it was still fun and I had so many yummy drinks.

You can either start your trek from Mexico or Canada. My mom and I decided to start with Canada. Our drinking journey started before we got to Canada though, when we decided to get a dragon berry drink from a random cart. We didn’t exactly get the full experience because we skipped Canada and the United Kingdom since all they sold was beer. In France we both got the Grand Marnier Orange Slush drink which was sooo good. My mom said it was her favorite drink from the whole day, and it was one of my favorites, too. 

Possibly my favorite drink was the mint tea with alcohol from the drink cart in Morocco. It was sweet, minty, and I could hardly taste any alcohol! My mom got a pomegranate drink that she didn’t like very much because it was too sour. Next up was Japan, which we skipped at first because of the long line but came back to later. As my final drink of the night here I got a coconut pineapple sake snow cone. This was another drink that I loooved because it just tasted like I was eating a popsicle and was perfect as my dessert! My mom got a plum wine that she really liked.

America wasn’t very fun since obviously we live here. We took this country to watch the show (which we both fell asleep during). It was the perfect refresher in the middle of the drinking adventure. In the next country, Italy, we both got peach bellinis! We were supposed to travel to Italy last spring before COVID-19, so we loved this to pretend we were actually there. Again, we skipped Germany because we aren’t big beer drinkers. 

In the next country, China, we both tried different drinks. I got a drink called the, “Canto Loopy.” It was cantaloupe flavored with alcohol. This is probably tied with my mint tea from Morocco as my favorite drink of the day! I don’t even like cantaloupe, but this was so good and different. My mom tried the, “Kung Fu Punch” which we agreed was also a win. 

At this point, we were in a rush to get to our dinner reservation in Mexico. So, on our way there we grabbed a beer (our only beer of the day) from Norway and shared it. At dinner in Mexico I ordered an avocado margarita. I was skeptical at first because the idea of drinking an avocado creeped me out, but it was actually pretty good! It had melon syrup on it which made it sweet. My mom god sangria which you can never really go wrong with.

Overall, we had a lot of fun and didn’t end up extremely drunk and get kicked out which was a plus! We skipped four countries, one drink outside of the countries, and took a “nap” mid-journey in America. It was just as fun as I had imagined. Going with a group of friends would have probably ended… differently, but it was amazing to spend time with my mom! I would definitely go again.

Jane Grandchamp is a senior at the University of Tampa. She is majoring in advertising and public relations, and minoring in international studies. She loves playing volleyball and going to the beach with her friends.
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson