This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

On January 5th, we were on our way to take home our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy. We named her Amálka, a girl’s Czech name, and I couldn’t be happier. 

The moment I met her, she immediately laid down on my lap and wouldn’t get up. It was the cutest thing ever; we fell in love with her.

Sadly, I could only spend time with her for two weeks since I had to go back to Tampa for another semester. However, I must say, it was a challenge to look after her every day back home when my parents were at work and my younger brother at school. Since she is still a puppy, she loves to chew on everything, run around the house, and keep me awake since 4 AM by barking because she wants to sleep in my bed. But I did not mind that at all because, despite her high puppy energy, she kept me company the whole day — every day. My heart would melt every time she would sit or lay down with me to cuddle. I always wanted a dog, and after many years, we finally got her. It was the best decision because she brings so much happiness into our lives.

Of course, it sometimes gets difficult raising a puppy. It requires a lot of patience, but it is so worth it.

Natalie is a sophomore at the University of Tampa, currently as a Journalism major. She is from Prague in the Czech Republic and loves to write, do yoga, travel and explore the city with her friends.