jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Wawa Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

It’s like a gas station market, but with comfort food. Living outside the city of brotherly love, a city known for its food, there is a degree of quality expected from our food, even for the grab and go variety. Growing up not next to one or two, but within twenty Wawa’s within a five-mile radius, their food became a lifestyle. For those who have never actually been in a Wawa, first off I apologize. Secondly, they are a sanctuary of customization, filled with touch screens to custom order any hoagie (subs for those of you not from the tri-state are), bowl filled with comfort food like mac and cheese, a growing variety of hot and cold beverages, as well as bagels, pizza, and other food items that one would never expect in such a fast paced location.

There was not only a Wawa on my way to high school, but also one right beside mine. On route to school, if I wasn’t already running late OR if I was running late enough to miss first bell already; I would stop for a sizzili and coffee. A sizzili is their generic word for breakfast sandwich, crafted with love and placed besides the cashier. What’s more important is the coffee bar. A long counter topped with multiple roasts, blends, and placed mere feet away from an island full of flavored mixers, all types of milk and sweeteners beyond belief. That was just the morning trip though.

At some point in the afternoon, whether it was between last bell and rehearsal, or if I had managed to coin up an excuse good enough to skip out on class (sorry mom), I was at the location besides school. I was there often enough that I the workers behind the counter not only had my order memorized and started to craft my hoagie as I walked in, but it got to the point where I had their numbers so I could let them know I was on my way, and occasionally they would have my coffee ready- and on the house.

Wawa is not just a grab and go food joint, it has a following of loyal devotees, and a staff of friendly faces and open arms ready to make the hoagie you not only desire- but the one you deserve.

Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us