Underrated Shows You Should Watch RN

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Usually, after a long day of classes or in the limited amount of downtime I have, I like to unwind and relax by watching a good show. One of the most bittersweet feelings is finishing a show and appreciating it for what it was, but also knowing I will have to find a new one! Finding a new show can be annoying and even overwhelming. 

Here are some underrated (af) shows for you to check out! I’ve described them as well to make sure y’all can decide. 

Good Girls – This show is a classic. I still miss watching it and may re-watch soon. With four seasons worth of episodes, it’s about a (surprisingly relatable) group of young moms who get a little more than they bargain for with some “bad guys.” I found it to be the perfect balance between family tension, comedic relief, eye candy, and plot. This show left me guessing constantly which I really value in a show as predictability is boring. Check it out on Netflix or Amazon Prime!

Downton Abbey – This one is quite the switch-up from the last suggestion, but what can I say, diverse TV taste is kinda my jam. Taking place in the 1900s, Downton Abbey involves a wealthy family with generational traditions trying to accept new realities during the centuries. While I found it to be at times slow, the storylines are surprisingly emotional and can be addicting. Another important feature is the portrayal of their house and kitchen staff. Much of the humor is mature and dry, but if you like British humor, this one’s for you. Available on Netflix!

The Circle – Again, quite different! This is a game show that welcomes people from all different backgrounds to play a “social media” (but put more accurately, texting) game. In the game, they can play themselves or someone else entirely. Players chat; sometimes flirting, or sometimes getting raw and real, in an attempt to get to know each other and make allies. They then can rank each other, and the top two “Influencers” can eliminate others. This show is an easy watch that’s not too hard on the head or heart but is just as entertaining. I’m currently about to watch the season 3 finale!

The Great British Baking Show – SO wholesome! I love this show so much and it’s family-friendly! It’s exactly what it sounds like—a British baking show in which contestants are put to the creative test to bake bread, cakes, “biscuits,” and more treats. This show honestly feels like a warm hug, for some reason it has such a comforting effect. (If you’re into this kind of thing, also check out Blown Away or The Big Flower Fight). Also available on Netflix. 

Workin’ Moms – This show has been a serious favorite recently but I finished it unfortunately. With a similar vibe to Good Girls, it’s about moms who are trying their best to juggle their husbands, babies, and jobs… but in the most hilarious way. I never know what to expect from this show either, and it always is sure to make me laugh. To give a little more context, it centers around two best friends who attend a “mommy and me”-type circle but have a hard time with the attitudes of other mothers. Anyways, check it out on Netflix as well. 

Halston – This show features a 90’s craze version of designer Halston, his loves, and his life. Based on a true story, it’s a messy, fantastic ride that captures the essence of creative minds and their occasional difficulty in real-life situations after coming upon fame and fortune. This is also available on Netflix and is a short watch, but worth your while. 

The Chair – Okay let me start off by saying there are few episodes, because I was very upset when I watched it all in a day. Sandra Oh, who you may recognize from Grey’s Anatomy, plays a department head of a traditionally old and white male college English department. With subtle but impactful humor and scenarios, this was a great watch. 

New Girl – Another classic that is one of few shows my siblings and I can agree on. This one needs little introduction, as it is very self-explanatory from the first episode. But, if you are not familiar, Jess, a bubbly and excited young teacher moves into an LA loft with 3 guys. Her messy yet admirable lifestyle combined with the humor and support of her friends makes for another great watch on Netflix!

I could go on, but I find that these shows are more-than-entertaining and can hardly be found unless you dig through the Netflix algorithm like I did. Honorable mentions: Virgin River, Manifest, Dynasty, Sex Life, Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce, How to Get Away with Murder, and Dead to Me. 

Happy Watching!

Lauren is a sophomore currently studying Management at UT. She enjoys being an activist for marginalized groups in her community, and hopes to one day study Law. Interests and hobbies include the beach, music, and traveling.