Function of Beauty
Function of Beauty
Original photo by Madeleine Bokan
Style > Beauty

Trying out Function of Beauty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

If you’re like me, then you’ve probably seen Function of Beauty ads all over social media, from Facebook, Instagram, or the hundreds of influencers that get paid to promote it. This is my full unsponsored opinion about my experience with Function of Beauty.

I like the idea of having your own formula. To celebrate individuality is comforting because everybody is different! I’ve struggled with finding “my” shampoo and conditioner so I really enjoyed what they’re promoting.

Little background on my hair, I have super thin hair that cannot function (no pun intended) with the same shampoo and conditioner for more than a few months. In general, I’ve tried so many different brands of shampoo and conditioner, from the drug store to professional brands, and haven’t had any luck. Honestly, I can’t even finish a bottle sometimes because my hair won’t stay manageable for an entire day. I usually switch from using “Love, Beauty and Planet” hair products and the shampoo bar from Lush. Both do very good things to my hair, but after a year and a half of it I quickly found that I couldn’t even put my hair in a ponytail it was so frustrating.

After I decided I need a change I went back on Function of Beauty’s website to take the quiz. I really like how they broke up the questions about the different hair types, thickness and scalp condition.  The choices I picked were straight, fine and oily.

Then it was time to pick my hair goals. This took me a while to narrow down and I really took the time to read each description of each goal to see what the deal was and how one could benefit another. In the end, I chose to fix split ends, lengthen, volumize, strengthen and oil control. I like that with each goal it says what exact ingredients are used and how they’re picked. Overall, that made the experience more enjoyable.

On the next page, you could choose the scent you wanted, along with the strength of the scent and color of the products. I took around two days picking a scent.*  I asked my roommate, boyfriend and girls who sit by me in class. I ended up with the all (you) calyptus scent for a few reasons. One being I like that it is 100% natural. I’m not someone who needs everything to be all-natural, but it’s a nice touch here and there. Another reason being that it basically sounded like what I put in my oil diffuser all the time, eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil and I can even smell a little bit of lavender. Lastly, I knew those specific oils are good for scalps.

*Scents change time to time, at the time I took this screenshot versus the time I ordered, the milk (shea)ke option replaced the (fine) apple.

Lastly, the color. It was a no brainer for me to pick black. I like the color black and I thought about the aesthetic. No second thoughts about this one! At checkout, I opted for the option to ship every 6 months and I even decided to treat myself to some leave-in conditioner as well!

After about eleven days I received my package. It came in a cute blue box with my name on it! Right away, I liked that the cardboard could be recycled. I even went back to the FAQ portion of the website to learn that this company is pretty savvy when it comes to their plastic use and where they get their products from. When I opened the box my bottles were beautiful. I think they may have made a mistake and dropped 1 silicon travel container in my box because I didn’t order those; but I’m very appreciative! They came with adorable stickers and a pamphlet talking all about my shampoo and conditioner which was a nice touch too! The smell was delicious, I loved it! The smell was strong just like how I wanted it to be and I was eager to put them to use that night. They even include pumps for easy use!

When it came down to actually testing them out I noticed right away that it lathered well. I only used about 1 pump, 2 max of shampoo and I could tell that it was cleansing my hair well. When I was rinsing it out, my hair didn’t feel stripped or dry, but instead very healthy. With conditioner I only used about 1 pump and I could tell it was soaking into my hair. I did notice that after rubbing it in my hair for a bit I had a good amount of excess left on my hand which was weird. I’m only saying this because I’ve used veganese from Lush and it felt the same way and ended up making my hair a tad bit drier, this was not the case. No tangles, all soft and smooth and smelled great. I air dried my hair and I can’t stress enough that my hair felt great, even after using the leave in.

After about a few weeks of using this product this is what I have to say:

• I think I am going to have this shipped sooner than every 6 months. I notice that after a few uses I’ve already made a dent in the bottle with product used and it went by fast.
  • I think I might switch my scent. Initially out of the shower my hair smells great, but after a day it doesn’t have the best scent. I can’t explain it but it almost smells like a burnt version of the scent. Not upset with it at all, but I might want to explore other options.
  • My boyfriend has noticed my hair having more volume which is a plus! If he can notice then it must work!
  • My split ends don’t look like the end of a broom anymore which is pleasant.
  • The oil is controlled. Not as bad as it used to be, can go 2-3 days without washing my hair and when my hair does get oily it doesn’t feel like there’s an oil spill on my head, it feels more manageable!
  • It’s definitely lengthening! I haven’t taken any pictures but there is definite improvement with my length, which is an amazing feeling, I’ve been trying to grow it out for a long time and I’m living because of it growing in a shorter amount of time
  • Strengthen, this ties with lengthening, as I do feel like it’s not so brittle anymore and also a tad bit thicker, which is great. When brushing my hair, I don’t have to force my hair through the brush anymore and pull a clump of hair out!

Overall, I do give this brand 5/5 stars. The whole process of customizing my own shampoo and conditioner was a unique touch I’ve never experienced before. The price for this product was reasonable for the quality. I recommend this to everyone!

Per usual like any influencer out there, if you’d like to try Function of Beauty out I can send you a link via e-mail and you can get some dollars knocked off at checkout! (:

Email: claire.dagostino5@gmail.com

woman in science
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely