Life > Experiences

Top Three Reasons Why You Should Cut Them Off

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Yes. This is a sign. THE sign you’ve been asking for. 

We have all had that moment where we think: “are we toxic?”, “Do I have toxic friends / relationships?”. And I think with Twitter’s constant mention of the word toxic and the popularity of cancel culture, it has become a very recurrent thought (at least for me).  So let me explain why Twitter is right, and why you should really kick them out of your life (if you haven’t already).

1. They’ve hurt you before and they apologized, but…

No matter how much you deny it, they have hurt you before! Now you try to justify their actions and you convince yourself that they would never hurt you on purpose, and if they did then they apologized, so it’d be bad if you did cut them off because they don’t deserve it.

They do deserve it. Yes, I agree, they have apologized and maybe they didn’t intentionally try to hurt you, but the repetitive behavior speaks louder than their words of apology ever will. They simply do not hold you as a priority; if they truly appreciated your company then they would not continuously hurt you, especially if you have brought it up to them and they end up apologizing time after time.

2. You are wasting your time

Face it, you give this person way too much time. You constantly think about what they did to you and whether or not you should still be their friend. You mostly think of how maybe you were the one that did something wrong instead of the other way around. No, not worth it.

Last but certainly not least…

3. They are stunting your growth

You can’t grow and develop to your fullest self if you spend your time trying to better someone else. Your energy is being wasted every time you forgive them for something they did; not only that, but if they repeatedly violate your trust you’ll be left with doubts for your future relationships. This person is creating insecurities within you even when they don’t realize it. You are pouring into them so they can pour into someone else. Your time and dedication isn’t circling back to you.

The list goes on – there are so many reasons as to why you should cut them off, but here are what I consider the main ones. Take care of yourself and your energy, you shouldn’t be wasting it on someone that doesn’t want to appreciate it and/or add to it.

Alondra is a bright, smiley, cow-loving student majoring in Psychology and minoring in both biology and philosophy. She is also a pharmacy technician and hopes to one day become a doctor. On her day to day she is running from one place to another and being vocal about her activism. Alondra tends to be a busy bee and also a social butterfly. When she's not busy you will find her in a hammock and hanging out with her friends or family. She is also a proud puertorican, a libra , a Halloween fanatic and a mom to a lovely pitbull mix named Bella Rose