Top 7 Artist That You’ve Never Heard of but Probably Should’ve

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have quite the ear for good music and that I actually pride myself on my taste in music. There are perks to having such a diverse range of taste in music.

Today I’m here to introduce you to some of my favorite, lesser-known artists and hopefully put you on to their bangin’ music.

1. Allen Stone

Allen Stone is known for his intense vocal range and soulful flavor that he brings to each of his records. I like to describe Allen Stone as the “White Stevie Wonder” due to the musical influences that are present in his music. In 2016, I had the pleasure of seeing Allen Stone perform in an intimate venue. His dynamic vocals and stage presence blew me away. He had a full band and quite honestly, is single-handedly keeping live music performances relevant.

Key songs to hear:

• American Privilege
  • Unaware
  • Brown Eyed Lover

2. Majid Jordan

Majid Jordan is a Canadian R&B (with pop and hip-hop influences) duo signed to Drake’s OVO record label. I discovered these guys about a year ago and instantly fell in love with their music. With two albums, an EP, and quite a few singles, this duo is leaving their mark in the R&B world while adding quite a few listeners to their fan base.

Key songs to hear:

• Gave Your Love Away
  • Her
  • All Over You

3. Omar Apollo

I stumbled across young prodigy, Omar Apollo, late last year when Spotify placed him on my discover weekly playlist. Before the release of his summer EP, Stereo, Apollo had released a few singles that had gotten respectable plays for an independent artist. Apollo has quite a few hits that incorporate desirable guitar tunes and Latin influences (I loveeee that). Omar Apollo releases all-around, feel-good music that makes me appreciate music all the more.

Key songs to hear:

• Ugotme
  • Erase
  • Today (ft. Teo Halm)

4. Refs

Refs is another duo that has been on my radar for quite some time now. Composed of a vocalist and a producer, this duo exemplifies a unique sound. While only releasing singles every couple of months, Refs has managed to hook me in as an avid listener and fan. I look forward to the release of a Refs album in the near future.

Key songs to hear:

• Pain Goes Away
  • Boarding It Up
  • Roots

5. HONNE

Honne is a British Duo that has a sound like no others. There’s really no genre to categorize these guys within, however, I can confidently say that they bring a soulful and enticing sound to the music scene. If you enjoy indie and alternative music, you will more than likely enjoy Honne’s music.

Key songs to hear:

• Warm on a Cold Night (original version and version with the Aminé feature)
  • Day 1
  • Just Dance

6. Marc E. Bassy

In my opinion, Marc E. Bassy is currently one of the most underrated artists in the music industry. With multiple singles, EPs, albums, and features, Bassy has shown his talent as a musician, vocalist, and producer and has quite the diverse resume when it comes to his collaborations. Bassy’s music has a perfect balance and influence of R&B, hip-hop, and pop that makes for a unique sound that isn’t very present among the music industry.

Key songs to hear:

• Gossip Columns
  • Simma (ft. Guapdad 4000)
  • You & Me (ft. G-Eazy)

7. Thirdstory

I was put on to this harmonizing trio in 2016 when they opened for Tori Kelly’s Unbreakable Tour and I left the concert easily identifying as a Thirdstory fan. Thirdstory grew popularity through posting unique, unforgettable covers on their YouTube channel. The trio released a highly anticipated EP in 2016 that held their fans over until the 2018 release of their long-awaited debut album Cold Heart.

Key songs to hear:

• Gtrain
  • Still In Love
  • Over (When We Said Goodbye)

Be sure to check out the artists above; they’re some of my favorites and never disappoint with their new releases. If you’re looking for more music suggestion, follow me on Spotify. I’m always discovering new music and updating my playlists! https://open.spotify.com/user/adriann_harperr?si=qyAXZhaiTjOlRyIZoGSOag

junior sport management major, minoring in excerise science. roots in atlanta, blooming in tampa amateur world traveler. coffee enthusiastic. music fanatic.