This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

If you are a user of Tik Tok like me, you’ve probably seen the new trend of “whipped coffee”. Since I’m stuck at home, like most of us, I figured I’d give it a try and let you know what I think. I’d like to preface this by saying I’m a self-proclaimed coffee snob and have worked at Starbucks for almost three years… so I’m probably not the easiest person to impress with a new coffee recipe.

The recipe is as follows:

1 tbsp of instant coffee

1 tbsp of sugar 

1 tbsp of hot water

• Whip vigorously until peaks start to form

• Pour on top of your milk of choice

The whipping of the coffee took forever, and it didn’t begin to change into a light fluffy mixture until I had mixed it for ten minutes. It also probably didn’t speed up the process by hand mixing — you’ll be more successful if you already have a milk frother. 

Today my choice of milk was oat milk. I thought because the whipped coffee was so heavy that it would most likely sink to the bottom. However, it sat right on top of the milk and looked almost exactly like a Starbucks caramel macchiato. 

If I’m being honest… the taste was not great. I was left unimpressed with this trend and although it did look cool, it was a huge waste of my oat milk. I would recommend you try it just because it looks pretty cool… but don’t expect anything incredibly delicious. I did buy an entire container of instant coffee so I will be making this again so as to not be wasteful. 

Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely