Throwback Thursday: 8 Scariest Movies of Your Childhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

As Halloween approaches and you start finding yourself in a pickle over what scary movies to watch, behold! The golden list of 8 movies from your childhood that definitely scarred you for life. Let’s take a peak at a few of those characters that found homes in your closets and took you years to forget, shall we?

1. The Sixth Sense (1999)

Young Haley Joel Osment gave the most dramatic of performances when he let out his little secret, “I see dead people” and though giving us a classic quote to live on for years, his movie still scares you to this day and you know it.

2. The Ring (2002)

I still can’t touch a VHS today… Mostly because I no longer have a VCR, but even if I did, I’d remain hesitant to do so. Let’s hope after watching this one again, you don’t get that long awaited phone call that you’ll die in seven days. I doubt it though; doesn’t she disappear in the end? Oh wait… Nevermind. 

3. Final Destination (2000)

Before Raven Baxter’s visionary talents, there was Alex Browning and his death predictions. If you watched even five minutes of this movie as a kid, you would have immediately made the decision to never go on an airplane again for the rest of your life or put yourself in any kind of situation that could ultimately kill you. You know, like taking a shower or using a tanning bed. 

4. The Grudge (2004)

Finally a movie that proved to your parents that there is most likely a Japanese mother-son duo hiding out in the ceiling of your closet! Add in a creepy old lady that can’t talk and you’ve got your perfect Sarah Michelle Geller fighting evil kind of film. Buffy saves the day once more!

5. Scream (1996)

What soon became the favored mask of all the little jerks in your second grade class was originally the face you feared would pop up at your back door holding a knife. The perfect movie for your next evening home alone. 

6. The Blair Witch Project (1999)

Talk about anticlimactic. A heart pounding, high anxiety horror movie that lacked a bit of actual horror, but still had enough for you to never want to explore the woods again. 

7. Signs (2002)

Note: don’t take your kid to see this on their 8th birthday like my own parents did. Though the possibility of aliens landing in my backyard farm that I didn’t have were slim, I didn’t sleep for a few months after this one. 

8. Paranormal Activity (2007)

I know this one came a little late into the game, but I still cried while watching this like I was 8 years old again. This movie definitely deserves a spot in the list of movies that scarred your childhood, even if you were a group of teenage girls with their dates in the theater…all crying. 

Enjoy rekindling the relationship you once had with some of these after watching them again and the nightmares that ensue as well. Happy Halloween!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Savannah Snow is a junior at the University of Tampa. Majoring in Communication, Savannah loves writing, comedy, double stuf oreos and music. Savannah was born and raised in Ocean City, New Jersey on the beach, sparking such a love for the ocean that she majored in Marine Biology for a whole two semesters and hardly made it out alive. You can find her anywhere on campus balancing cookies on a to-go box from the café or with her headphones in listening to music, so make sure to say "hi" loud enough!