Stratus Sound in front of a green screen article hero image
Photo by James Rodgers

Three UT Artists You Will Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

The University of Tampa’s music department is full of talented new artists who are beginning their careers in the music industry. Here are three you will love:

Stratus Sound (artist collective) in front of a green screen
Photo by James Rodgers

Stratus Sound: Stratus Sound is an artist collective made up of five music technology majors in UT’s music department. Specializing in hip-hop, pop, and EDM production, they have released a diverse discography that you will love. All five of the members, along with their videographer, Rodg Productions, are passionate about their burgeoning careers in the music industry. They each offer “unique perspectives that help drive the vision of the team.” 

About the members:

Dallas (artist) from Stratus Sound producing music
Photo by James Rodgers

Dallas is a junior at UT from Naples, Florida. He is the executive producer for Stratus Sound and makes “hip hop and pop productions with influences scoping from R&B, to Classical, to prog rock.”

SOS Wes (artist) from Stratus Sound
Photo by James Rodgers

SOS Wes is a sophomore at UT from Manasquan, New Jersey. He writes music about “personal experiences in ways people can relate to” and experiences he wants “to live through.” In his creative process, he creates “flowing melodies” with his voice to develop “a world of harmonies.”

JD! (artist) from Stratus Sound in the studio
Photo by James Rodgers

JD! is a sophomore at UT from East Greenwich, New Jersey. He likes to “make music that many different people can listen to, relate to, and live through.” His songwriting covers his “personal experiences, as well as situations that have affected [his] life.”

Fawn (artist) from Stratus Sound
Photo by James Rodgers

Fawn is a junior at UT from Acton, Massachusetts. He produces music “with psychedelic songwriting mixed over EDM productions.” He enjoys experimenting with his music to “create something that gives the listener a unique impression of [his] own experiences through a provoking sound.”

Dre Skywalker (artist) from Stratus Sound
Photo by James Rodgers

Dre Skywalker is a sophomore at UT and a Tampa native. His music “pulls from a wide variety of genres and pulls the listener into a world of my emotions.” In creating his music, he focuses on “on portraying a cohesive story made up of my experiences that allows the listener to feel the emotions behind each song.”

James Rodgers (Rodg Productions) is credited as the photographer for each of the Stratus Sound photos provided. Hailing from Chicago, Rodg Productions is inspired by short films and commercials. With his film school education, Rodg acts as an innovator in visual media.

Stratus Sound is currently promoting their single “Forget You” by Dre Skywalker featuring SOS Wes. Dre says, “‘Forget You’ was a song that I wrote about my personal experiences with toxic relationships. I wanted to explain the pain of heartbreak and the complex emotions that come with it through boxing metaphors.”

Check out their Instagram @stratus.sound and their website, stratussound.com, to stream their music and learn more about the group!

Trey Morris (TREYMO) over a blue sky background
Photo by Trey Morris

TREYMO: Trey Morris is a Tampa native who makes music under the name TREYMO. He is wildly talented and can play guitar, bass, and keys! Recently, TREYMO has become a member of the Country Music Association Music Leadership Program as another huge step in becoming a producer and songwriter in the music industry. His musical inspirations include Dayglow, boy pablo, and Rex Orange County. In the music department, he’s known as the “Indie Music Guy,” and his incredible single definitely reflects this title. This song, “Trying,” is available on streaming platforms. You should absolutely give it a listen! He also has more music on the way this summer. Follow his Instagram trey.mo for life updates and his TikTok @_treymo_ for music-making content. 

(Interview credits to our lovely social media manager and writer Karolyn Bodwell.)

Sophia Liaises (DJ Slowphia) performing a set
Photo by Sophia Liatsos

DJ Slowphia: Sophia Liatsos is a sophomore at UT who has been a DJ for almost two years. Her name comes from how she is “always late to everything, so the nickname sort of stuck.” She produces EDM music (specifically melodic house/bass and some future ridden.) She got her start as a DJ by making mashups and has now created longer mixes (the “Sorry I’m Late” remixes) that feature a blend of underground remixes and mashups that she has created. She currently DJs at fraternities and events on campus and is an open DJ who will accept last-minute bookings. You can catch her on TikTok live and can stream her mashups on SoundCloud @SLOWPHIA. Follow her Instagram @djslowphia for music updates!

Jessie is a Music Technology major at the University of Tampa. She loves to write about music, spirituality, entertainment, cooking, and astrology. Outside of Her Campus, she is pursuing her career in the music industry and works with Grammy U and Women In Music. (ɔ◔‿◔)ɔ♥