This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

You may be reading this title and thinking to yourself, “hm, I don’t really listen to folk music.” I am here to tell you, however, that folk music is much more prominent in contemporary music genres than most people realize. In fact, another revival of folk may be arising in the near future (thanks to artists like Taylor Swift and Noah Kahan). This trend may seem surprising, but music history has shown that this was inevitable. 

What is Folk Music?

First, it’s important to understand that there are two genres of folk music: traditional and contemporary. Folk itself comes from the German word “volk,” which means “for the people.” Traditional folk was developed by the common, working-class man, and the songs often tell stories that convey the human condition. Traditional folk music applies to artists like Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger, who composed songs that were orally passed around throughout regions of the United States. These songs were catchy, acoustic tunes that could easily be translated and played by others.

Contemporary folk music, however, started in the 60s and 70s. This evolution caused folk music to morph into a combination of genres such as rock and pop. Artists like Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and Simon and Garfunkel successfully brought folk music to the mainstream. This folk revival completely changed how we define music and encouraged artists to step outside the box and explore other music genres.

The Evolution

The 90s and early 2000s introduced interesting, unique folk songs that played a large role in pop culture. Indie folk artists like Jeff Buckley, The Cranberries, Mazzy Star, Indigo Girls, and Elliott Smith told stories through their music in a distinctive 90s style. These artists have recently gained more attention on the internet, demonstrating that people are ready for another folk revival.

Although the 2010s were not a very promising time for folk music (The Lumineers were really carrying the genre), the 2020s have proved that people are seeking out folk within pop culture. Artists like Phoebe Bridgers, Lizzy Mcalpine, Noah Kahan, and even Taylor Swift (Folklore is indeed a contemporary folk album) have become increasingly adored for their unique approach to the folk genre.

So…why are people suddenly craving folk music? Although there may not be a straightforward answer to this, I blame this trend on two important factors:

1. The internet and Gen Z value sad music: Folk itself explores stories that typically have unsettling and sad undertones. Our generation is starting to see through the facade of happy pop music (*cough* 2010s *cough*). Phoebe Bridgers is a prime example of a popular folk artist who effectively utilizes emotional lyrics and melodies. People seem to find it comforting to relate to sad songs, and folk is the perfect vessel for this trend.
  2. Folk music offers genuine and pure songs that stand out from typical marketing tactics. Pop music is usually created in a specific way that targets certain audiences using sneaky tricks such as repetitive notes and catchy choruses. Folk music, however, seems to have a greater depth. The songwriter has more freedom to write about anything they want and, therefore, can use heart-wrenchingly brilliant lyrics that other pop artists would avoid. Since artists seem to be gaining more freedom with songwriting, the folk genre continues to grow and transform.

So, the next time you are listening to music, consider looking out for modern folk songs hidden in your playlists. If you are feeling really bold, try listening to any of the artists I have listed in this article. I mean, who knows… maybe you have just discovered your new favorite music genre!

“I consider myself a poet first and a musician second. I live like a poet and I’ll die like a poet.”

Bob Dylan
Megan Kelly is a writer for Her Campus at the University of Tampa chapter. Focusing mostly on entertainment and lifestyle tips, Megan publishes an array of opinion articles on the site that help readers find anything from new shows to watch to tips for waking up early. Her writing gravitates towards a combination of both trendy topics and whatever she is obsessed with at the moment. Outside of Her Campus, Megan is a junior at the University of Tampa. She is majoring in Advertising and Public Relations, with a concentration in Creative Advertising. She hopes to one day pursue a career as a copywriter or graphic designer within the advertising field. Experienced in digital design softwares, such as Adobe platforms, Megan is interested in all things related to visual media content. From creating designs for her Redbubble shop or designing children’s books, Megan hopes to continue utilizing her digital design skills. In her free time, Megan can often be seen wearing headphones and listening to music genres ranging from indie-pop to 70’s classic rock. Her love of music inspired her to play guitar, learning from artists like Bob Dylan and Hozier. Besides music, Megan also loves watching tv shows and movies, drawing in her sketchbook, exploring nature, and drinking coffee.