Life > Experiences

The Frightening Truths of Traveling to a Foreign Country

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Traveling is a privilege that we have in this world. People either love it or hate it. But why would you not want to expand your horizon and see what our world has to offer? People live with different lifestyles, weather, clothing, food, and other aspects. Exploring is learning. 

Don’t get me wrong; traveling is a fantastic experience with abundant opportunities. But there are struggles with traveling that people do not talk about because they are too busy posting a million pictures of their luxurious destinations. 

Flying to your destination can be tiring: 

If you’re an antsy person, then flying can be a struggle depending on the duration of your flight. Being glued to your plane seat gets boring after a while Personally, my butt gets sore. Depending on which seat you sit in, it can be annoying to get up and ask people to get up for you to go to the bathroom. Some airlines give free Wi-Fi and entertainment. But, if you’re left without it, I suggest bringing headphones for music, books, and downloaded movies or tv shows to keep busy. Oh, and of course, bring some snacks. If you’re feeling social, you can always make some friends if you’re sitting next to people on the flight. Keep yourself entertained, and the flight will come to an end. What’s the worst that can happen? Oh right, sitting near a screaming baby.  

Security at borders are intimidating: 

The feeling of getting off your plane when you arrive at your foreign location is the best. However, your next stop is security to be allowed into the country. The people can be in bad moods and seem very intimidating. There are almost always long lines, but keep pushing; you’ll get there eventually.  Once you get up to the checkpoints, they’ll stare at your passport for 5 minutes and then let you go: nerve-racking. However, once you’re past that, you have finally made it to your destination! 

Cultural foods may be deceiving: 

Cultures cook an abundance of different foods based on their locations and lifestyles. Some food can be deceiving, but it is worth giving it a taste. Who knows, you may end up enjoying their food styles. Then you can expand your cookbook and try to create some of the foreign meals. 

Currency exchange may throw you off: 

Do some research before traveling to your destination. Figure out how the currency system works there. You may have to stop and exchange some money, so you can go out when you’re abroad. 

Language and Mannerisms are hard to pick up on: 

Our world contains many different languages and cultures. Each way of life makes us all unique. Sometimes interpreting languages can be complex. You can always buy a language guide for like 5$ at a bookstore or use Google Translate. Be careful because you don’t want to offend anyone accidentally. Specific cultures have different mannerisms (like how burping is a sign of satisfaction), and people may take offense if you don’t make certain gestures. The laws vary in different countries, so do your research.  

A good solution is to simply ask someone about their ways of life. You’ll learn some exciting things! 

Crimes in different countries can be scary: 

Before picking a place to travel, you must look up your housing location and check the crime rate. Yes, human trafficking is a real problem in the world. It is among one of the many crimes around the world, as well as pickpocketing. People are highly skilled at stealing items from your purse or straight out of your hand. 

Just remember: always be aware of your surroundings. Haven’t you all seen the movie Taken yet?  

Have fun and enjoy yourself: 

Depending on where you travel, the lifestyle can range from wealthy people living in the most beautiful buildings; to people with nothing to eat living under a homemade roof with no bed. It can be hard to see. 

It just makes you more appreciative of your life. Explore, see the world; there are only a few minor bumps you may run into. Once you get to your destination, you won’t have a care in the world. It will be great if you prepare. Let go and relax. In the end, it is all worth it. 

Alexis Duffy is the President and Senior Editor at the Her Campus at Tampa chapter. She writes and edits articles as well as managing the chapter at Tampa. Her articles cover entertainment and lifestyle topics focusing on films and traveling. Outside of Her Campus, Alexis is a senior at the University of Tampa, double majoring in Communication, Media & Culture, and Advertising & Public Relations. She is currently an part time employee at the Tampa Bay Arts & Education Network, where she works on media projects and shadows in the tv studios helping with production. Alexis enjoys art, adventures, film, and traveling during her downtime. She often finds herself going down a rabbit hole when watching videos about the production of a movie, interviews, and fun facts about cinema. Alexis always seems to have her phases, whether it’s a Harry Potter marathon or watching The Dark Knight Trilogy.