This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

L-O-V-E. There are many ways we use this word- “I love my significant other”, “I love myself”, or “I love nature”. The sentiment may be the same, but the exact meaning varies. However, did you know that the Ancient Greeks recognized not just one but eight different kinds of love? They are: 

• Eros: named after Eros, the Greek God of love (known as Cupid in Roman mythology), this is the sensual kind of love you feel for an intimate romantic partner. 
  • Philia: This is the platonic love you have for a close friend, the kind who always has your back. The word “platonic” comes from the Greek philosopher Plato, who wrote about the various ways to love. 
  • Storge: the kind of love you feel for your family. 
  • Ludus: playful or flirtatious love. This is the kind you feel for crushes and causal relationships, but nothing serious. The closest term for this in English is “puppy love.”
  • Mania: lust, or love turned sour. This is when infatuation with someone becomes unhealthy or obsessive. 
  • Pragma: the real deal. This is the genuine love that develops over time when two partners are in a committed relationship with each other and will stick together no matter what. 
  • Philautia: self-love, loving yourself as your own unique person. 
  • Agape: when you love unconditionally for the sake of it, without expecting anything in return. This includes loving nature, a higher power you believe in, or people you haven’t met yet. 
My name's Chrissy, I'm a 2024 graduate and Writing Major/Linguistics Minor at the University of Tampa. When I'm not writing, I enjoy listening to music, swimming, meditating, reading, and good vibes.