This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

2021 was a year of change for me. I turned 18 years old, went to prom, graduated high school, moved across the country alone, and finished a full semester of college. All of these differences were profuse and completely life-changing. 2021 was truly the year that I let my wings fly and discover my true self. However, the year 2021 had its difficult moments. There were times when I felt that my whole world was falling apart. Behind the growing up and celebrations of becoming an “adult,” I was faced with many obstacles along the way. I struggled with mental health, family issues, and major decision-making as I pounded on the stress of life.

If there’s one thing I learned from the year 2021- it would be to let go. For my whole life, I have desired to have control over things. I’ve tried to control having nearly ideal grades, having a spotless room, having perfectly clear skin, and having an amazing social life. However the year 2021 brought on major life changes, I quickly realized that not everything was in my control. Although my anxiety told me to put on the pressure constantly, I finally learned to let go. I learned to pray, seek therapy when needed, and receive medication to control my anxiety. I learned that no matter where life takes me- I am going to be alright. 

Letting go of things you can’t control will change your life in the most positive way. Once you step back and realize some things aren’t in your control- you will begin to feel at peace. For anxiety-ridden people like myself, letting go of total control can seem nearly impossible. I encourage you to take it step-by-step and slowly allow yourself to feel at peace with yourself. In the past, I tried to control so many things that were out of my control. Now I know that letting go will take you farther than holding on.