Taylor Swift’s All Too Well is a Masterpiece

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

This past Saturday, Taylor Swift released her All Too Well short film and fans went wild. Swift used both Sadie Sink and Dylan O’Brien to illustrate one of her personal encounters as a young songwriter. Fans have hinted that Taylor’s “All Too Well” song was inspired by her past relationship with Jake Gyllenhaal. Some fans have theorized that the fictional relationship between Sadie Sink and Dylan O’Brien was inspired by the age gap between Taylor and Gyllenhaal. Swift dated Gyllenhaal when she was just 20, and he was 29, so it is not a surprise that Sadie Sink is only 19 while Dylan O’Brien is 29. Taylor’s music video is described as a “coming of age film” that encompasses experiences of love between the ages of 19 and 20. The short film captures the powerful love of a relationship with a large age gap, and the turmoil that may come with it. The end of the music video seems to be the most impactful, as it shows Taylor Swift with red hair “all grown up” reminiscing on her experience years ago. The music video captures the deep emotions of Taylor’s relationship with Gyllenhaal and is beautifully done. The chemistry between O’Brien and Sink is unreal, despite their drastic age difference. This short film shows that Taylor Swift is not only a songwriter but a storyteller as well. Her choice to cast Sadie Sink was phenomenal, as Sink captures the youthfulness and innocence of a 19-year-old girl. Taylor Swift did a wonderful job with her All Too Well short film, and she will continue to amaze fans with her storytelling and songwriting.