Stephanie Gerschwer- The Transfer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Stephanie Gerschwer, seen below in the Mets gear (you can gag a little, I did too) transferred to Tampa (UT) after her freshman year. After knowing her for a year now, I decided to ask her about the process.

Q: Where did you go to school before UT?

A: I originally went to Eckerd, in St. Petersburg

Q: What drew you to Eckerd?

A:  The school is right on water, which I loved. Going into an Environmental Studies program the #3 marine biology program seemed like a good thing to have around. I really wanted far away from home, too. I thought having the small size would be beneficial to adjusting to a collegiate atmosphere.

Q: When did you decide to transfer?

A: After I applied for an RA position, I weighed out costs and benefits and didn’t love my major. Freshman winter break I reevaluated my school choices and decided on UT.

Q: How was the transfer process?

A: Horrible; don’t go through with it unless you’re positive. I’m still not 100% done the process and it’s been over a year.  

Q: Was a hard adjustment?

A: It was weird being a freshman again as a sophomore. But it pushed me to do things like formal recruitment, leading me to my sorority. I lived close enough to my old friends that it wasn’t horrible, but it was a harsh transition.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about UT?

A: I really like the size of Tampa as a city, and that there’s a lot going on for its size. Being around other schools makes seeing things outside of UT easily accessible too.

Q: Are you happy with the choice you made?

A: Yeah, I live with great people now and am much more involved on campus!

Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us