Desk setup?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk setup?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

Staying Focused While Working At Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

During all of this quarantine madness at The University of Tampa, our classes have switched to online. I’m sure if you attend any other University in the United States your classes have been moved to online as well. 

I’ve been finding it pretty hard to focus on my work online lately so I wanted to share some tips I found on how to stay focused while working online and from home.

1. Create a schedule for yourself

Creating a routine will establish a sense of normalcy. While we are all currently stuck at home, there’s no set schedule for most of us. Having a schedule will increase productivity while also making sure you have time for breaks. 

2. Dress like you’re going to class.

I know for some of us we’re already dressed like we’re going to class in our sweats. However, if you put on an outfit that makes you feel more professional you’re more likely to stay focused and get more done. 

3. Choose a specific area in your house to study.

By choosing a specific place to go to do work, you will get used to studying in one spot. Rather than moving all over your house (which I’ve been doing a lot of lately), you can get used to being able to focus in a single area. Try to make this area somewhere other than a common space where there are many possible distractions. 

4. Listen to instrumental music.

Studies have shown when you listen to instrumental music, your ability to focus increases. Something that has helped me in the past is listening to Lo-Fi study beats on Youtube. 

5. Make some time to get outside. 

The Center for Disease Control has recommended that everyone go for a walk outside once a day. So in order to stay focused go outside! Take a little break and get some fresh air. While I know it can be tempting to sit in your pajamas and turn on Netflix on your breaks, your mind and body will thank you for leaving the house for a little while!

Hope you’ve enjoyed reading my tips for staying focused while working from home. I hope you’re all staying safe and washing your hands! 

HXCO,

Amanda

Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely