This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Being from a different state or country, let alone another continent can be extremely overwhelming. Trust me, I know and so do some of you that did it too. I made the move from Zambia, Africa, to Tampa, FL  3 years ago. While I am well settled and extremely happy here now, when I first moved, that wasn’t the case. To begin with, I was only 16 and in university which was a life-changing experience in a lot of great ways. But at the same time, I couldn’t go places everyone could or do most things they could either (even stuff like rock climbing or paintballing) so being left out and feeling like I didn’t belong was a regular thing for me. There were definitely some hard times like my car crash and going through shoulder surgery, but there were also good times with good people. Every time, I look back on my first few years here, I say to myself: that was chaotic. But from the chaos came a strong person. So, if you’re moving, or just made the move, here’s my advice to you:

• Surround yourself with people who love and support you. 
  • Take problematic situations in stride no matter how stressful they are.
  • Focus on you sometimes
  • Lastly don’t take yourself too seriously because you’re growing and just because someone might be doing it faster or more gracefully than you, that doesn’t mean you’re falling behind.
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely