Rating Gallagher’s Pumpkin Patch in St. Petersburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

This past Saturday I visited Gallagher’s Pumpkin and Christmas Tree Patch in St. Petersburg. Throughout this month, this place has covered my Instagram feed. It’s unique wooden wall filled with pumpkins of all shapes, sizes and colors brings an autumn glow to Florida that is often so hard to find. After seeing so many people visiting there, my friends and I decided to give it a go and we were not disappointed!

Only about a twenty-minute drive from The University of Tampa’s campus, Gallagher’s is an easy stop for students with a car, or it’s about a $20 uber ride for those without. Although it is situated right off the side of the road, the decor gives the pumpkin patch a feeling of a field in the countryside. Filled with families and young children enjoying the patch, we walked through the rows of pumpkins and admired their wide variety. Ranging from mini to pie to extra-large, they had a significant array of pumpkins that are perfect for carving or simple decoration.

After looking at the pumpkins and stopping at the many photo ops, we got in line to see the baby goats. Yes, they have goats! Due to social distancing, they were allowing two to three families in at a time, however the wait was no longer than five minutes. Once we entered, we could play, hold and take pictures with the goats. There were four total and they were all under a year old. They were adorable as they snuggled into our arms, tried to nibble on our jeans, and eventually fell asleep bathing in the sun. 

Afterwards, we then picked out our pumpkins. We decided to get pie pumpkins and I chose one with a long curly stem to make it unique. We carved them later that night and they were perfect! They were a great size and made for really nice fall decorations for our dorm room. Finally, we then got in line to take photos in front of the famous pumpkin wall which turned out very cute! So many families were taking group photos which created such a homey essence that many college students miss. Lastly, we visited the checkout area where they were also selling popcorn and snow cones to cool people down. Although we did not buy any food, we were given a cute sticker and then made our way back home.  

Overall, I 100% recommend visiting Gallagher’s pumpkin patch to really get your autumn fix in Florida. Although it may be ninety degrees (I definitely recommend wearing something lightweight!) the colors and atmosphere gave me a taste of fall. It was a perfect, safe way to spend a Saturday in October and I encourage everyone to go if they have the chance! 

Caroline is a sophomore studying International Business and Finance at UT. From Bermuda, you can usually find her on a beach soaking up the sun or playing a game of volleyball. Although new to journalism, she's excited to further develop her writing skills and learn more about herself along the way!
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson