This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

It’s not enough that you don’t see my color,

in fact, 

I will not apologize for the way my skin burns in the summer 

and you will not only celebrate my skin when it lightens in the winter, you will rejoice the spectrum of colors in between

Like a chameleon, I am changing all the time to blend with my surroundings I am adapting and I am growing, growing, growing in all the ways you didn’t expect me to.

I will keep growing, growing, growing 

until

you see God when you look me in the eyes—

look at Her color, isn’t She beautiful.

Jacqueline is a senior at the University of Tampa where she is studying Political Science, Philosophy, and Law. With a passion for meaningful expression and a habit of constant word scribbling, Jacqueline published her first collection of poetry, "Iota", in 2015, and her sophomore collection, "Introspective Mindswap", in 2019. Her main focal point for writing surrounds her identity as a Latinx woman of color in America, finding strength in fragility, and the perpetual itch of nostalgia. Be sure to keep up with Jacqueline on social media @jackieecrespo, any inquiries can be sent to jackieecrespo@gmail.com
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson