This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

By standard dictionary definition, mindfulness is “the quality or state of being conscious or aware of something” as well as “a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations.” 

As we live in a very loud world and hustling society, incorporating mindful living into your daily routine can be a beneficial practice. It is easy to get lost in a pattern of flowing from one day to another without pausing and taking the time to notice the little things. It might seem easier as well as comforting and familiar to live this way. Yet, similarly to how your room gets cluttered and dirty laundry piles up, eventually your mind deserves a reset.

I choose this approach because in the past I have heavily struggled with ignoring my well-being for the sake of keeping up with school, work, and relationships. I would try to contain the anxious and turbulent emotions up until I would reach my limit and randomly disperse exhausted tears in unsuitable settings. I tried to physically approach my overwhelmed state by following the standardly promoted checkups such as “exercise, drink water, get a good amount of sleep” etc. Although those things are beneficial, they were not what my well-being desired. It was only after weeks of observing the patterns in my routine that I was able to establish what works well and helps my prosperity. Here is what I do to be more present in my life, as well as what works for me to decrease getting too overwhelmed by daily life.

Every morning, I set two alarms thirty minutes apart. One alarm wakes me up and the other reminds me to get up from bed. In those thirty minutes I avoid going to my phone (I charge it at my desk instead of my nightstand so that I am not tempted). I found that when I would go on my phone immediately after waking up, I would continue to check and rely on it during moments of stillness as a form of escapism throughout the day. The same goes for when I am getting settled for bed. I know it’s the most basic statement but reducing my screen time has brought me to a more restful sleep. I spent the thirty minutes lying in my bed, moving and stretching my limbs as well as observing the placements of the objects in my room. I consider this my time to “load,” similar to a computer.

While eating, I try to focus on my meal. Instead of going somewhere or watching something, I take the time to feel what I am eating. I make sure that I chew thoroughly and slowly and memorize how the food makes me feel. I also like to observe around me. Who is sitting where and doing what? This helps me memorize the surroundings at this moment, which contributes to my routine of having present experiences. 

The same method applies during my walks and stretching. I focus on how the movement makes my body feel. How the sting in my muscle aches when I reach for my does, or how I feel each step in my hips. I like to listen to instrumentals or music without recognizable words, I find it increases my concentration on the world around me. I watch the ground and notice the bugs, leaves, the different tiles of the sidewalk, and how the water moves through the river.

Lastly, I would like to share how I fully devote my Sundays to mindfulness as I treat it as a major weekly reset. Aside from having little to no official plans and routinely deep cleaning my space, I like to “extremely” minimize my screen time. I let my loved ones know that my phone will be on silent and that it is the reason behind the slow responses (I do a check-in a few times to let them know I am okay and vice versa). I take the day to get situated with my assignments, laundry, groceries, and other mundane things that I might have been putting off. I consider it crucial to the success of my week to have this day, as it gets me organized and prepared for what’s to come in my schedule. I finish my reset day by being in nature for a few hours while writing my thoughts and taking in my surroundings through the five senses. 

Now, nobody’s life should mimic another, yet I have shared what I have noticed and implemented it into my routine to engage with moments of mindfulness. This is what has been working for me and I am always open and in the process of integrating new methods and observations into my being. Overall, I would like to highlight that sometimes, bringing yourself to be present during mundane activities will feel like watching paint dry on the wall. However, if these simple practices are maintained, then I can ensure that they will bring a new understanding of the world and your place and purpose in it.

Melanie is a freshman majoring in Advertising and PR at UT. In her free time, she enjoys reading, discovering new music artists, dancing, singing, thrifting, exploring new places and trinket collecting.