palace theatre signage 3004075?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
palace theatre signage 3004075?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

My Love-Hate Relationship With the Horror Genre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

When I am told that the movie we’re watching is a horror film at a hangout, I want to run to the door immediately. Sitting through a one to two-hour fright fest does not sound like fun to me! I curl up in a ball with my hands on my ears and eyes. Jump scares are solely the reason for my hatred. However, If I didn’t have a bunch of awful horror-loving friends, I would have never fallen in love with it. 

I have never imagined myself saying that I love horror films. The only reason why I began to enjoy them is because of the fantastic storylines; they’re just simply mind-blowing. If you can get past all of the jump scares and blood, then maybe you can recognize how creative the genre is and start liking it just as much as I do.

Storylines make or break a show or film. Those two to three-sentence excerpts summing up the media you want to watch will either pull you in or push you away. Most horror films have pretty intriguing excerpt summaries. Search for the ones you are intrigued by, and then check the film’s rating to ensure it will be a good one. Like all movie genres, there are horror films that are not worth watching, but the ones that are will probably blow you away. Here are some films and shows that have changed my terrifying perspective of the horror genre

1. Midsommar (Hulu)

Midsommar is a captivating film about a group of friends who get roped into going on a vacation that suddenly turns into a series of creepy horrifying cult rituals. So many aspects of this horror-mystery film will send chills through your bones. The ending will leave your mind reflecting and wandering. It is 100% worth the watch if you can get through some disturbing and gory scenes. 

“So we just gonna ignore the bear then?”

– Simon, from Midsommar.

2. It (2017) (Netflix)

A Stephen King classic, It, has its web of horrifying tales about kids who go missing, which are soon found to be related to a shape-shifting clown. This thriller will keep you shivering on the edge of your seat.

“Time to float.”

– Pennywise, from It.

3. suspiria (1977) (Tubi)

This Italian horror film from 1977 is a piece of art with a threatening color scheme of reds and blues. The plot follows a girl who attends a ballet school where a series of murders occurs, and the students discover creepy truths about the school. 

“Susie, do you know anything about… witches?”

– Sarah, from Suspiria.

4. The shinning (HBo max)

This creepy classic is a must-watch. In the 1980s, Stephen King created a masterpiece with various recurring aspects throughout the film. These horror concepts are seen in other film media today. 

• Twins
  • Slashing through doors
  • Abandoned hotels 
  • Location: middle of nowhere 
  • Pouring of blood

This film is perfect debate material. So, watch and find your interpretation!

“Here’s Johnny!”

– Jack Torrance, from The Shinning.

Over time, the horror genre has changed, and current cinematography can make you feel like you are truly living in the film. If you do not enjoy watching movies that make your heart race and can’t sleep at night, try to focus on the creative storyline and outstanding cinematography put into these films. Appreciate the film world because it has a lot of creativity to offer.

Alexis Duffy is the President and Senior Editor at the Her Campus at Tampa chapter. She writes and edits articles as well as managing the chapter at Tampa. Her articles cover entertainment and lifestyle topics focusing on films and traveling. Outside of Her Campus, Alexis is a senior at the University of Tampa, double majoring in Communication, Media & Culture, and Advertising & Public Relations. She is currently an part time employee at the Tampa Bay Arts & Education Network, where she works on media projects and shadows in the tv studios helping with production. Alexis enjoys art, adventures, film, and traveling during her downtime. She often finds herself going down a rabbit hole when watching videos about the production of a movie, interviews, and fun facts about cinema. Alexis always seems to have her phases, whether it’s a Harry Potter marathon or watching The Dark Knight Trilogy.