This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Over the weekend (October 17th), I was lucky enough to attend my first-ever women’s march. I’ve always wanted to go to one, but I never had for a few reasons: (1) I knew people would judge me very harshly, (2) I never wanted to drive into the city because parking is a pain, and (3) I was scared that people would be mean towards the marchers. However, this was not the case when I went. 

Overall, everyone was very supportive and respectful. I was surprised by the big turnout as well (and everyone was wearing a mask!). There were so many women that showed up and walked with us. At one point, we saw an old woman crying in her car as she drove past us cheering us on. I realized just how important it is to be marching and standing up for what I believe in. It was an overwhelming feeling of joy knowing that what I was doing was making an impact on at least one person. I was even surprised when I posted photos on Instagram. I wasn’t expecting all the positive comments from friends and family members who were proud of what I was doing. 

I cannot wait for the next one! I only wish I would’ve participated in one earlier. 

Anna is a new member of the Tampa chapter of Her Campus. Originally from Minnesota, Anna decided to explore more of the world and move to Tampa, Florida to further her education. She is currently a junior studying sports management and Spanish.
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson