hawaii nature hikes original
hawaii nature hikes original
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

This week marked Earth Day on Wednesday. I love to see all my friends post pictures from the most gorgeous places in the world, some memorable ones were pictures from Ireland, Tokyo, and Jamaica. A silver lining to the coronavirus is the rebirth of the Earth. Air pollution rates dropping, water clearing up, animals returning to their habitats, it’s enlightening to see. It made me so much more thankful that I was able to live on my beautiful island of O’ahu. In dedication to our gorgeous Mother Earth, I will be listing some of my favorite hikes that my tiny island has to offer.

1. Lulumahu Falls – Honolulu, HI

Surprisingly, this is the only waterfall hike that I will be describing on this list. I have been on a couple of waterfall hikes, but this one in particular is the most gorgeous. Starting from the beginning of the hike where you are walking through mud and end up in the trees toward the hike. The waterfall is high up and the pool at the bottom is small, but nonetheless a beautiful place to hike to and definitely a great picture.

2. Ka’ena Point – Waialua, HI

Ka’ena Point is a five mile strip of trail located right beside the ocean. Although people are advised to stay away from the rock formations next to the hike, sometimes the tide pools are too pretty to pass up. At the end of the hike is a beach. The importance of this hike is that you’re walking to the west most point of the entire island.

3. Lanikai Pillboxes – Kailua, HI

I am slightly biased because this hike is located in my hometown of Kailua. The pillboxes play a role in some of O’ahu’s military history. They overlook Nā Mokulua, two small islands off the east side of O’ahu. I recommend hiking up before sunrise to watch the sun come up from the top of the pillboxes.

4. Stairway to Heaven – Kāneʻohe, HI

The most dangerous hike in Hawai’i, and I DO NOT recommend taking the hike, there are a lot of hazards, and there have been more than enough deaths. When I went, I was 16 years old and didn’t know better, but I am so happy I was able to do the hike. You hike the pristine Ko’olau mountains on a small staircase up the entire way. It is the most amazing view as you can see the entire island from the top, if you aren’t caught in the clouds.

5. Deadman’s Catwalk – Hawai’i Kai, HI

Located on the east side of O’ahu, Deadman’s Catwalk is another illegal hike that looks over the turquoise water. Recently the cement catwalk was taken off because hikers would be trespassing to hike up there and take pictures. But trust me, the pictures were awesome.

Special Mentions:

• Sacred Falls, Hau’ula, HI

• Crouching Lion, Ka’a’awa, HI

• Likeke Falls, Kāneʻohe, HI

There are SO many hikes in Hawai’i it’s hard to narrow it down to my favorites. I will forever be thankful for living on such a beautiful island, and for all that it has to offer for me. If you ever get the opportunity to visit, please treat the island with respect and explore all of the natural exhibits it has to offer.

Mackenzie is currently a junior at The University of Tampa studying Sport Management and International Relations. She is originally from Kailua, Hawai'i, but graduated high school in Stuttgart, Germany. Her passions include travel, travel, travel! She also loves to watch the USWNT win world cups and Simone Biles do triple doubles. Wanna follow her adventures around the globe? Follow her on Instagram - @mackenzie.cooper
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson