This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

As human beings, students, and pandemic-survivors there’s a lot on our plates. But you can still show up for yourself each day in a way that makes sense to you. While ‘self care’ has become super normalized—which is great—it doesn’t just entail drinking your green juice and doing a facemask.

First, let us redefine what ‘productive’ means. Taking care of yourself is productive, because the moment we burn out is the moment we can no longer be ‘productive’. Subsequently, we cannot show up for our loved ones and we cannot get this degree (am I right y’all). Now more than ever, there are certain factors beyond our control every day. However, I’ll be focusing on some little things that tend to go a long way as far as your daily routine and how you’re left feeling when your head hits the pillow each night.  

Hear me out. For example: I’m sensitive to stimulus, I always have been. Being exposed to overwhelming environments containing loud noise, bright lighting, or extensive social interaction for long periods of time can feel exhausting. If you find yourself in a similar position, sitting in a dimly lit room with soft music playing may be the best part of your day. In doing so, you may find practices you can incorporate to make you feel that much better. If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed, verklempt, or like you want to crawl out of your own skin, then ask yourself why that is. Sometimes our brain tends to wander into a transactional state of thinking, ex. go to class, run errands, go to work, feed your dog, do homework. We are capable of becoming numb to our routine until it feels like more ‘give’ than ‘take’.

Remember everyone’s life looks different, feels different, and no two days are the same. No one has their sh*t together. Nope, not even the girl with her mac open and color-coded sticky notes at Starbucks. Let that take some of the pressure off of you today. And if you think I’m reading too much into this, let me remind you that life consists of… a whole bunch of days. How do we make them better, into a more whole, fulfilling, and balanced life? What does that look like?

Learn how to help yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally. Some ways this can take fruition in your life are: 

• Taking a long shower

• Making your bed

• Meditation or Affirmations

• Taking a walk

• Calling your mom

• Laying out in the sun for some Vitamin D

• Snuggle a pup

• Take a study break

• Make time to eat

• Drink some water

• Cry? If it serves you

• Say ‘no’ to stuff you don’t want to do

• Snooze your alarm, there I said it

Lastly, let go of that feeling that you’re not doing enough. I say this because I know my audience are hardworking and driven individuals. Know that life gets in the way, and that doing what feels right to you is not greedy. Remember that striving for success also means taking time for you.

Lauren is a sophomore currently studying Management at UT. She enjoys being an activist for marginalized groups in her community, and hopes to one day study Law. Interests and hobbies include the beach, music, and traveling.
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson