Wellness

Lucky Girl Syndrome: The Science Behind Manifestation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Whether you tend to be a skeptic or a faithful believer, the topic of manifestation has brought insightful concepts into mainstream media. Most famously, the “Lucky Girl Syndrome” trend on TikTok centered on the idea that positive affirmations can bring about real change to a person’s life. Naturally, however, this creates a compelling question: Does manifestation romanticize delusional thinking or does it actually have effective outcomes?

Manifestation: What is it?

Manifestation relies on a few important factors, including (but not limited to) positive affirmations, mantras, and most importantly: hope. It mostly consists of the repetition of phrases and keywords that relate to a specific goal, either out loud or on paper, with the idea that it will come true. Some popular affirmations include “what I am seeking is seeking me,” and, “everything I do turns into success.” Affirmations are typically stated as if they are facts in order for goals to be assumed as true and possible.

The Philosophies

Modern manifestation is an interpretation of two popular principles: the Law of Assumption and the Law of Attraction. Created by philosopher Neville Goddard, the Law of Assumption claims that you can determine your reality by simply imagining, or assuming, that something is true. Similarly, the Law of Attraction claims that you attract positive things by focusing your awareness on your dreams and goals. These philosophies are essentially the core of “Lucky Girl Syndrome.”

The most fascinating aspect of manifestation is that it can be utilized by two types of people: those who have faith in the universe and those who have faith in themselves. One can argue that manifestation works because the universe is receiving its affirmations. Someone else, however, could argue that, scientifically, positive outcomes are the result of a positive mindset. The potential for different interpretations makes the “Lucky Girl Syndrome” a perfect recipe for wide acceptance and popularity.

So…does it work?

Although “Lucky Girl Syndrome” is a compelling concept based on famous philosophies, the outcome seems to rely on the title itself: luck. Having a positive mindset is a valuable attribute, but one should still make an effort to achieve their dreams through their actions. I believe that manifestation requires a balance. I can utilize an affirmation such as “I will successfully pass my test,” but in order for it to come true, I still need to study. If you choose to use manifestation techniques, it would be wise to also consider planning out a course of action that goes along with your goal.

“The world is a mirror, forever reflecting what you are doing, within yourself.” – Neville Goddard

Megan Kelly is a writer for Her Campus at the University of Tampa chapter. Focusing mostly on entertainment and lifestyle tips, Megan publishes an array of opinion articles on the site that help readers find anything from new shows to watch to tips for waking up early. Her writing gravitates towards a combination of both trendy topics and whatever she is obsessed with at the moment. Outside of Her Campus, Megan is a junior at the University of Tampa. She is majoring in Advertising and Public Relations, with a concentration in Creative Advertising. She hopes to one day pursue a career as a copywriter or graphic designer within the advertising field. Experienced in digital design softwares, such as Adobe platforms, Megan is interested in all things related to visual media content. From creating designs for her Redbubble shop or designing children’s books, Megan hopes to continue utilizing her digital design skills. In her free time, Megan can often be seen wearing headphones and listening to music genres ranging from indie-pop to 70’s classic rock. Her love of music inspired her to play guitar, learning from artists like Bob Dylan and Hozier. Besides music, Megan also loves watching tv shows and movies, drawing in her sketchbook, exploring nature, and drinking coffee.