This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Dear Future Gio,

I am writing this letter because I want you to remember a few important things. It seems like this quarantine and social distancing period won’t be over so soon. For that reason, I need you to stay calm, focused and anxiety-free. That’s when you’re in your best mood, behavior, and mindset. I know you have been dealing with depression and it hasn’t been easy, not on you or anyone around you. People either treat you like you’re about to break or explode at any second – which honestly is very accurate. However, I don’t want this to let you down. 

You are a strong, smart and independent woman. You challenge yourself more than anyone ever should and that comes with a burden. So, don’t be too hard on yourself. You’ll get good grades, this stay-at-home period won’t last forever and everything will be okay. You will get better and prove everyone wrong. Not that you need to do that, but I know you better than anyone and you would feel much better knowing that. Maybe that’s “wrong”…whatever, though. 

You are that person who has no filter and speaks her mind in every situation. I’m not saying that’s bad. Just try to keep some things to yourself because the truth does hurt sometimes and some people might not be able to take it. Then again, if someone can’t take you for who you are, they don’t even deserve your time. Some things are not meant to be. Know your limits and what’s worth it for you. Also, please do me a favor and stay true to yourself. I know you like making new friends, but don’t lose yourself in the process. It’s a long process to find yourself again. 

Time is precious, so make the most out of situations. Due to your adventurous nature, you love thinking of the past and making plans for the future. You should learn to live more in the present. Remember when you cried for a week before actually leaving Hong Kong last year? Was it nice? No, not at all. It felt like a part of yourself was being left behind, right? So please stop doing that. Suffering in advance is perhaps your biggest weakness. Let’s fix that. And for the time being, let’s enjoy being in Brazil with the family and cats. 

You have a lot to be grateful for and I’m not saying you’re not grateful. However, actions do speak louder than words in some instances. Instead of expressing it with orders, you could do something nice for others. One big thing might be to help your mother get the house cleaned up or watching K-dramas with your sister when she asks. The small things matter; they make all the difference. Sometimes it’s good to have someone helping you or just keep you company, so they need you in those situations. 

Lastly, you are always saying that people don’t understand you. But maybe you don’t understand others either. You should be more understanding of others, especially when your mental health isn’t at its best. You tend to start caring about and putting yourself first only when really needed. Upon that, you have a habit of “forgetting” or taking others “for granted.” That’s not nice for you – or anybody for that matter. For that reason, try to balance things out. Take care of yourself and others without overcompensating. Do what you can and it will be enough. You can accomplish everything you set your mind to, just believe in yourself. 

You got this! You are worth it! You are beautiful! You are loved!

Lots of love, 

Past Gio

25, Sagittarius, Brazilian. University of Tampa 2022’ English teacher, writer, and journalist I'm a language geek, adventure seeker, and bookworm. g.maistrobrasolin@spartans.ut.edu
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson