This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

2020 is winding down, and although it has been filled with a lot of confusion, one thing is for certain: it has been a rollercoaster of a year for all of us. We’ve felt fear, rage, frustration, exhaustion, and all the bad things as a collective, but we have also been given a wonderful opportunity with all of this chaos to turn inward, and really do some spiritual exploration. Here is a list of some of the best pieces of advice I’ve collected during this journey- I hope they help you as much as they did me:

• The energy you use on arguing with someone who has committed themselves to misunderstanding you is energy wasted. Keep your inner peace- if they do not want to change their mind, they will not. 

• The beauty of hurting is that it always comes with learning… if you are willing to see it through a broader lens. Embrace your emotions, even if they are painful. I promise, you will start to see the light in them.

• The sun is medicine for your soul. In the summer I started laying in the grass every morning, and I swear the intention to take advantage of the sunlight changed things for me. I started feeling so much happier.

• The only way to break a pattern is to respond differently. The universe will not change its ways unless you do first. It sounds obvious, but keeping this in mind has helped me break cycles I thought I’d be in forever.

• Spending time alone and without your phone brings up the thoughts that you will benefit most from addressing.

• I bet your jaw is clenched right now… Relax. The universe is not in a hurry, and it is not stressing, so why are you? There is time if you focus on how much is left, and not how much is running out.

I know these things are all easier said than done, but they can really help guide you in a happier direction if you keep them in mind. Of course, there is a lot that we can’t control right now, but these are some of the thought processes and actions that we do have power over. This year has taught me how to finally slow down and take care of myself, and although I am far from perfecting this process, I think these things have helped me get off to a good start. Let’s hope 2021 goes a little easier on us, but if not, I hope all of this comes in handy for you.

Jessie is a Music Technology major at the University of Tampa. She loves to write about music, spirituality, entertainment, cooking, and astrology. Outside of Her Campus, she is pursuing her career in the music industry and works with Grammy U and Women In Music. (ɔ◔‿◔)ɔ♥
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson