samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Lessons learned from the Summer Grind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

This summer I worked in fast food for the first time and I learned a lot about both the food industry and also about who I am as a person. In my life, I have never had a job that required me to work more than six hours a week, but this summer I found myself back home with absolutely nothing to do. Rather than sit at home all day, I decided to apply for a job at a Dunkin Donuts down the street.

I was quickly hired and started working the next week. I still remember how defeated I felt on the first day. I was sure that I had made a mistake in applying there and would be unable to continue with the job. Everything was too fast and I didn’t think I could ever catch up. I made so many mistakes and upset multiple people on the first day. I remember the days I would come home, nearly in tears from bad encounters with customers.

But I also had some amazing moments. I started to build relationships with regular customers who came in and I had the opportunity to make their day. I also worked with some of the most interesting people. I worked with convicted felons, retired seniors, and high school dropouts, people that I may not have otherwise met. After a while, I even learned not to get upset with difficult customers. I realized that no matter what you do, some people will still get mad. From this, I learned that I am someone who constantly tries to please others, but learning to be okay with people disliking me or being upset with me was very liberating. I also learned that I am someone who deeply appreciates the support of others. Working in fast food is hard, but having people on your shift who are as hardworking as you are can really change the entire day.

Plenty of people work in fast food, but this experience personally had a great impact on me. There were many difficult days, but now I can say that I’ve been through them. Everything should do things that are far out of their comfort zone, if not just for personal growth. I don’t think my story is special, but I am so proud of myself for doing what I had believed, for a moment, that I could not.

Anuoluwapo Naomi Bamidele is a senior at UT. She is pursuing a major in Marketing and a minor in Film and Media Studies. Her favorite movies are Slumdog Millionare, Million Dollar Baby, Rocky, Titanic, Forrest Gump, The Dark Knight, and High School Musical. Two things you should really know about her are that she LOVES Jesus and one day her name, although unique,  will be known across households.  Follow her on twitter @QueenBamidele00 and Instagram @anuoluwapo.naomi.bamidele