Knowing Your Worth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

This semester has been a trial on me physically, emotionally, and mentally. It’s been a culture shock becoming a commuter, and the stress has interfered in my life in different ways. The most common way has been stress between friends. I’ve let a lot of this stress break me down, but I’ve started to take a stand. Here’s how I’ve started my life cleanse.

1. Breathe

First step is to clear your mind and from my experience the best way to do so is by sitting down, closing your eyes, and taking deep breaths.

2. Talk

Find someone completely outside of the situation you’re in and explain everything to them. Chances are, if they’re a valuable person in your life they’ll let you know if you’re overreacting. If you seem to be in the right, you then have someone in your court!

3. Clean

At this point of stress, you’re likely a physical and emotional mess. Take a day, a few hours, or whatever minutes you have to spare and clean up these emotions and the space you crowd them into. I can’t explain how much more in control I feel when my room is neat.

4. Make Lists

List what, and who, is most important to you and why. This reaffirms the values you hold. It can be simple things like a daughter or a friend. Bridge into titles you would sign an email with, a student of your major, clubs you’re actively involved in, etc. Lastly, list the intangible things that you are: supportive, unique, beautiful, bubbly, warm. The things that make you a genuinely good person are important.

5. Harness the Good

This is the hardest step. You must believe in every good thing you’ve said, and push out the bad. The bad can be people, habits, or anything you classify as such. For every bad you push out, replace it with at least two good.

You are full of worth. Embrace and live with it each day.

Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us