This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Let’s talk about it.

I feel like no one ever talks about the normality of not being experienced in college and how it is OKAY. Everyone is so quick to talk about being experienced when it comes to relationships, sex and other fun things. But, I am here to tell you it is normal to be a virgin, it is normal to have never had a boyfriend. Just because many of your friends have boyfriends, aren’t virgins and go to crazy parties does not mean you are obligated to partake in those activities. In fact, if you want to save yourself for marriage, girl go for it! If you are waiting for the right person, GO FOR IT!  No one should determine or influence how you feel about a decision that is about you. Do not let anyone change your mind about being a virgin or influence you to lose it because you are too old to have it. It is no one’s business but yours. 

The social norm that comes with the image of college is someone who already lost their virginity and is totally experienced. When people hear that you haven’t lost it, they look at you like you have a disease since it isn’t common. Few people are honest and upfront about it since it is an unspoken topic. This all has to do with the stereotype that our generation has created. It is an unhealthy bragging habit that many teenagers do to try to feel superior to others. The talk about sex and how many bodies one may have has somehow became a bragging right. I went through my whole highschool journey hearing kids left and right talk about how many people they have slept with and how it is an accomplishment to reach double digits. Having sex should never be something that is thrown out there to get you to the top of the popular board. Out of respect, you should never brag about who you slept with or talk about it unless the other person involved is okay with it. 

We need to stop shaming others for being virgins or late bloomers. Personally, I have no say in what anyone does or even try to speak my opinion. Many of my friends aren’t virgins and many are and I can tell you that I respect whatever they decide. Being inexperienced in college is normal, it isn’t weird. You do not have to go out of your comfort zone to fit in. If your friends think you are weird for not being experienced then maybe you should reconsider being their friend. Your TRUE friends will support you throughout any decision you make with yourself and will never judge you. 

So, embrace your uniqueness and love yourself for it. 

Hi guys ! Its Kristine. I am currently a Allied Health major on a PA track. I am from New Jersey and have lived there most of my life. I needed a change and some hot weather so I decided to pack my things and make Tampa my new home!
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson