Style

How to Jump into the Holiday Groove

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Do you want to decorate your home for the holidays and don’t know where to start? Yes? Good. Then keep reading. No Grinches allowed. 

Step 1: Scents

Adding scents to your home is a perfect way to get the holiday feeling in the air. The smells will draw you in, making you feel cozy, excited, and in the spirit. Find any store that sells candles, mists, soaps, hand sanitizer, and lotions. Bath and Body Works has a great variety of holiday smells. 

Soaps

• Vanilla Bean Noel
  • Twisted Peppermint
  • Holiday Mistletoe
  • Winter Citrus Wreath
  • Winter Candy Apple
  • Iced Cinnamon Rolls

Candles

• Tis the Season
  • Fresh Balsam
  • Tree Farm
  • Winter
  • Merry Cookie
  • Sweater Weather

There are many more holiday scents to find in any store. 

Step 2: Decor

Decking out your house for the holidays gives a warm welcome to your family and friends. It can also give a cozy feel to your home.

• Lights

You can dress up the outside of your house with lights of all different kinds. White, red, green, blue, and multicolored lights are a great ascent to your home. Also, people place lights inside their home. You can place lights around a tree if you have one, around a fireplace, or string lights on a wall. There are so many possibilities.

• Holiday Items

Placing holiday specific items in your house is a great way to celebrate your holiday! For my thanksgiving celebrators, you can decorate your home with pumpkins, cornucopias, and sunflowers. If you celebrate Christmas, you can set up Christmas trees, advent calendars, a christmas countdown, and much more. Dradels, menorahs, and stars are perfect home decorations for hanukkah. There are an abundance of more decorations for all the different holidays, and one of the easiest things to do is to find the color scheme and match it.

• Home Decor

People can spruce up their homes with fun holiday pillows and blankets. Decorating the dinner table can give a great holiday feeling as well. Get some colored plates, placemats, napkins, and table clothes. The colors can be picked out based on what holidays you celebrate!

Step 3: Music

It is known that certain radio stations start playing holiday music as early as november 1st. People either hate or love it. Holiday music can be found anywhere like youtube, radio channels, and playlists. Play holiday music in the background of your home on a speaker device. You can also blast some tunes in the car to boost your holiday spirit.

Here are some fan favorites:

• All I want for Christmas is You—Mariah Carey
  • Last Christmas—Jimmy Eat World
  • Run Run Rudolph—Jimmy Buffet
  • Santa Baby—Willa Ford
  • Santa Claus is Coming to Town—Jackson 5
  • This Year—Christina Aguilera

Step 4: Foods

During the holiday times, one of people’s favorite things to do is to taste and cook holiday foods! You can find recipes and tutorials anywhere like youtube or recipe websites. 

Get your family and friends in the holiday mood with holiday meals and drinks like the ones listed below:

• Gingerbread
  • Apple Cider
  • Candy Canes
  • Eggnog
  • Peppermint Bark
  • Cranberry Sauce
  • Latkes
  • Stuffing
  • Pumpkin Pie
  • Matzah
  • Turkey 
  • Hot Chocolate

You can find many more recipes online!

Follow all these steps and you’ll surely get that holiday feeling. One last touch will be some cozy pajamas and fuzzy socks, and you’re all set! Have fun getting ready for the holidays! 

Alexis Duffy is the President and Senior Editor at the Her Campus at Tampa chapter. She writes and edits articles as well as managing the chapter at Tampa. Her articles cover entertainment and lifestyle topics focusing on films and traveling. Outside of Her Campus, Alexis is a senior at the University of Tampa, double majoring in Communication, Media & Culture, and Advertising & Public Relations. She is currently an part time employee at the Tampa Bay Arts & Education Network, where she works on media projects and shadows in the tv studios helping with production. Alexis enjoys art, adventures, film, and traveling during her downtime. She often finds herself going down a rabbit hole when watching videos about the production of a movie, interviews, and fun facts about cinema. Alexis always seems to have her phases, whether it’s a Harry Potter marathon or watching The Dark Knight Trilogy.