How to Get Back In the Swing of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

The hangover from summer is very real. If I could spend the whole semester laying at the beach, I would. But, senior year calls. Somehow I found myself in the 4th week of the semester and my mind is still in summer mode. I feel like I blinked on the first day of classes and just opened my eyes and now it’s almost October (story of every college student’s life). So, since I actually need to start focusing and turning in quality work, I decided it’s probably time to get my mind into the swing of school again.

The most important thing for being successful in college is to be organized. The first thing every college student should do on the first day of class is fill out their planner with every due date from all of their syllabuses. Whether you already did this the first week of class, or you’re getting your planner out to do it now (me); DO IT! This way you’ll never be caught off guard or stuck accidentally doing an assignment last minute in a panic. 

Stress is mainly what sets me back when it comes to getting myself back into the mindset of being a student. Going from having no homework for three months to having tons of assignments all at once is a lot. It’s easy to get stressed and just put everything off until you’re not stressed anymore. As a college student, I’m not sure I’ll ever be totally stress free. Instead, I like to take my work one day at a time. Having your mind on five different assignments at once isn’t helpful because you’re never giving your full attention to one assignment. I usually work on assignments from every class over the weekend. Then, during the weeknights I work on the assignments due the following day. This makes it a lot less stressful when you don’t feel like you have a million different things to do all at once.

Jane Grandchamp is a senior at the University of Tampa. She is majoring in advertising and public relations, and minoring in international studies. She loves playing volleyball and going to the beach with her friends.