jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Talk Things Over with Your Partner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Having a significant other by your side in college can either make or break you. That person will either support and encourage your studies or distract you from them. No matter what, you will still care deeply for this person and coming to an agreement with them may not always be easy.

In a situation where you and your partner can’t seem to agree, things can get heated. Talking things over is the best way to solve any problem. Here are some tips to help you:

1. Decide if you want to continue with the relationship or end it. If you want to work for it, let them know you need to talk. Reassure them that the conversation is to better things and not to end them, you don’t want to scare them off by having a conversation.
  2. Be nice and understanding. We all have different POVs that need to be respected. Don’t belittle their ideas and try to accept where they are coming from.
  3. When it’s your turn to talk, be clear. Don’t be scared to tell them what you want, what bothers you, and what you may want to change about the relationship. They will appreciate the honesty, and it’s better than lying and having an uncomfortable relationship.
  4. Let them know you want to be with them. Some people need to actually hear the words. Phrases like, “I love you,” “I really care about you,” “You make me happy,” “What would I do without you,” etc. all mean you care for them and want their company.
  5. Do something fun. After having a deep conversation it’s good to lighten the mood a little bit. Going for a walk, watching a movie, or getting some food are a few good ideas.
  6. If by the end of the conversation you realize there is no way to make it work, end it. Do yourselves that favor. It will be hard, but you and your partner will appreciate it in the long run.

Remember having a relationship requires time and patience. Give it a chance first, and remember that your happiness is what matters!

Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us