How To Not Be A #freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

As the time for midterms approaches us yet again, I find myself still able to tell who the freshmen are on campus.  Granted, I am a junior and spend the majority of my time in my room, class, or at work… However when I am out and about, I can spot freshmen as easily as people can spot me because I am a red head. Now, me being me, I have made some moves where my friends have called me out for being a freshman. So from one freshman to the next, here’s some advice to not be a freshman:

1. Learn your meal plan and how it works on campus. There is nothing more annoying than getting a meal with a friend and having to explain how it all works. A Blizzard at DQ is in fact a meal exchange, there is no shame in grabbing two desserts from the Caf, and you must order from the computers first before waiting in line at The Grill. I can’t tell you how many times I have been waiting for my chicken fingers late at night, and watch freshman wait awkwardly next to me.

2. The library does exist and I highly recommend you go there. It is not just a building full of books that no one reads. It is probably one of the greatest things on the face of the planet to get your work done. If you’re still studying in your room, and haven’t figured out why studying doesn’t work out for you, I recommend you try the library just once. I go to the military room because three hours later, I will have completed every assignment ever given to me.

3. Full nights of sleep do not exist in college. Unless you are one of those people who religiously goes to bed at 11 pm, do not expect to go to bed at a decent time every night. There will be nights when you go to bed at 3 am. There will be some nights when you don’t go to bed, which means naps will be your best friend. True story, I may not get all of my work done for the day, but you can bet I will fit in a nap if I need one.

4. Don’t break things in your dorm. Those floor charges add up fast, and if you are the one to continuously rip down door tags and break the RA bulletin board, your floor will hate you. This includes breaking pipes in Austin #alwaysremember

5. If you skip class to go to the pool, I will honestly question how you got into college. I know the tanning team is a great dream for some, but for my fellow pale friends out there who burn walking to class, we envy you.

6. Please get active in something on campus and make friends. Nine times out of ten, your roommates are not your friends. As a freshman, I joined a sorority and was active in three committees in Student Productions. As time has gone on, I have gotten more active in my sorority, worked multiple jobs on and off campus, and still have time for a nap. You’re only in college for four years, and you will never forget it.

7. While everyone wants to make friends, make sure you’re making good decisions with them. If you are trashed every Monday night, there’s a problem. Going out is good, don’t get me wrong, but being drunk every night or having to be escorted by campus safety to your room, is never a good thing.

8. It doesn’t matter what state you are from or what car you own, learn how to park it. Parking sucks enough as it is on campus, and only makes students more frustrated when they see an open spot after searching 20 minutes for a spot just to see that the car next to it is too close to the line or taking up part of the spot. Also, as a freshman, you can only park in West Garage on the third floor or higher. Not on the ramp, not in the Vaughn lot, and especially not in Thomas.

9. Alcohol does not freeze. End of story.

While this list is not a guarantee to make you the coolest person on campus, it is a great start to becoming a normal freshman. Best of luck in your journey, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Emily Schonaerts is currently a Junior at the University of Tampa where she is studying Criminology and Psychology. While a St. Louis native and natural red head, she currently calls Orlando her home. When not focusing on academics, Emily can be found with her Alpha Chi Omega sisters crafting and promoting Greek unity or protecting the campus as a Desk Assistant at Campus Safety and Security.If not seen on campus, Emily can be found at Disney's Hollywood Studios giving tours into the movies at The Great Movie Ride! While only a part time Tour Guide, you can bet she is full of knowledge and fun facts about Disney and The Great Movie Ride-which is in fact a ride.Being a Junior means it is almost time to become a real adult, but for now, nothing is better than being an almost adult while still trying to figure out how to make a Criminology degree like a degree in Forensics."And I'll see you at the movies, the stuff dreams are made of."