How to Dress for Business Settings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

As a senior about to enter the true ~adult~ world, it has come to my attention that some young adults simply don’t know what “business wear” means. From my experience of working in a professional office, I have compiled a few examples of outfits that I would be more than comfortable wearing to my professional setting.

Though the traditional “business wear” is a traditional black and white suit for men and black and white pant suit or skirt suit for women, times have changed! I would encourage young folks entering the workforce to experiment with color, tastefully. I wouldn’t suggest rolling up on the first day of a new job in a hot pink shift dress and a navy blazer, but after a couple of weeks of experience, if you feel comfortable doing so and it’s deemed appropriate by your workspace, go for it.

Some age-old rules of thumb that I still play by when shopping for work clothes:

1. Skirts that go no higher than mid-thigh when sitting.

2. If a shirt has a neck line lower than placing a palm on your chest, wear an undershirt.

3. Straps 3 finger-width, if smaller wear a jacket or blazer.

4. If dresses/skirts have a slit, make sure it is a tasteful length.

Always make sure to read your workplace dress code!! Different workspaces have different standards for what they deem appropriate wear! What may seem appropriate to me or you may not be seen in such a bright light by your superiors.

Just living my life one social inquiry at a time.
Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us