This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Having a brother is a nightmare when you realize how much love you can actually have for that person, the one person who can make you the angriest you’ve ever been or make you feel the freest you’ve ever felt— it’s definitely a love/ hate relationship.

I understand that everyone has a different type of relationship with their siblings, and that is okay. Likewise, it is okay to not get along with some people in your family, but growing up or raising children with siblings could teach them how their family is their lifelong friends and how a family is more important than anything. 

My family is the most important thing in my life— especially my brother, who is different in so many ways but somehow the same person as me deep down. When he feels pain, I know exactly why, which makes me hurt.

Do not get me wrong; we have had many brutal fights, even ones where I thought I would never talk to him again. However, I think that it made us even closer when we would make up. After all those young years of going through new emotions, we connected on a different level. We sat down, had a deep talk, and realized that we aren’t so different and that we only fight because we are siblings who know that no matter what happens, we’re family and will always be there for each other. After many long talks, I realized how much I really do care for him. I would do anything to see him succeed and be happy. 

Being put in a position where it’s a concerning matter about a person shows you how much you care for them. This past year I have been put through a few incidents where I found myself worrying and always wanting to be there for him. I knew that he was strong and would get through it, but I never wanted to be in a place more than being next to him in those moments. 

A decent amount of people grow up depending on a significant other and then end up getting hurt when they leave. That is one negative thing about relying on others; depending on family is different. I know that no matter what happens throughout my own life, I will always have him to depend on— whether it’s talking, crying, or just driving to some random place and screaming. And that right there is better than any kind of relationship or friendship; it is the one here at home, with my brother. 

Alexis Duffy is the President and Senior Editor at the Her Campus at Tampa chapter. She writes and edits articles as well as managing the chapter at Tampa. Her articles cover entertainment and lifestyle topics focusing on films and traveling. Outside of Her Campus, Alexis is a senior at the University of Tampa, double majoring in Communication, Media & Culture, and Advertising & Public Relations. She is currently an part time employee at the Tampa Bay Arts & Education Network, where she works on media projects and shadows in the tv studios helping with production. Alexis enjoys art, adventures, film, and traveling during her downtime. She often finds herself going down a rabbit hole when watching videos about the production of a movie, interviews, and fun facts about cinema. Alexis always seems to have her phases, whether it’s a Harry Potter marathon or watching The Dark Knight Trilogy.