This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

It’s been a year since the world shut down, can you believe that? Personally, my life looks a whole lot different today than it did a year ago. This past year was filled with loss, confusion, sadness and anger– but also moments of connection and surrender. 

It’s been hard to stay spiritually connected with ourselves and the universe with all of these energies in the world, so how do we get through it? Recently, I’ve been looking for the answer myself and found a few tricks I’d like to share. 

1. Keep your tools out, and in your way

I exercise my spirituality through divination, writing, and spending time with people who encourage me to dive deeper and grow. Keeping my tarot decks and metaphysical tools out and ready to go inspire me to use them more often, as opposed to if I kept them out of sight. Keeping my journal on my bed instead of buried in my desk reminds me to jot down a few things I was grateful for that day, even if I was feeling disconnected.

Something as simple as sleeping with my crystals under my pillow slowly helped me feel reconnected with my practice.

1. Mother Nature

Nothing feels better than rolling around in the sweet Earth and soaking up the revitalizing energy she wants to share with you. A dip in the ocean, a barefoot walk through the park, or a peaceful moment of meditation under the light of the moon can remind you how good it feels to be in the Earth’s rhythm, and even inspire you to look inward and get to the root of why you’re feeling disconnected. 

1. Figure out why you’re feeling disconnected in the first place 

It’s obvious, I know. But if there is a thorn in your side that needs removed in order for you to feel your best again, find that sucker and pull it out. Maybe you haven’t had enough you time? Maybe someone in your life is bringing your energy down? Maybe your basic needs aren’t being met (remember: body and mind must be well before the spirit can grow). Take inventory of how your life is moving right now and determine if it’s promoting spiritual wellness.

1. Creativity and spirituality go hand in hand

I find my spiritual wellness is directly connected to a regular creative practice. One of the big things that got me through quarantine was painting everything I could find, and using extra paint to fill up an art journal. This in turn inspired me to translate my feelings and thoughts into art (shoutout to my Art Therapy majors), and getting the gears turning again. Now, when I’m feeling creatively or spiritually blocked, the paint comes out and the magic quickly follows. 

As always, love eternal and good luck.

Capricorn ☀️ Gemini ? Taurus ? Maryanna is a freshman Art Therapy major at the University of Tampa. She loves all things wellness, spirituality and the metaphysical lifestyle. You can often find her in the park painting pictures of cows, or on Instagram @maryanna__bee. Blessed Be!
Jalyssa is a Senior at the University of Tampa and the President of Her Campus at UT. She has worked with issues of human rights and advocation since high school. She is passionate about helping others, writing, and speaking up for those who can't advocate for themselves. Jalyssa's other interests include roller skating, art, music and make up. She hopes to one day become a criminal defense attorney.